College of Education

About Us Admissions & Academics Research & Engagement Departments & Faculty Current Students

CoE Graduate Handbook

Student Status

Minimum Grade-Point Average (GPA) Requirements

Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative graduate GPA of 3.00. Failure to maintain a 3.00 GPA each semester will result in the student being placed on academic probation. Students on academic probation are not eligible to receive graduate degrees or hold assistantships or other appointments. Students and advisors should consult the  Graduate College Probation Policy for more information.

Limited Status

If the student’s record indicates some deficiency at the time of admission, the student enters the degree program on limited status as recommended by the department to the Graduate College. The most common deficiencies are an unacceptable grade-point average or not meeting the required English Proficiency score. Limited status admissions clearly state the nature of the limitation(s), the conditions and the time limits for removal, as well as the consequences of removal or the failure to do so. When conditions originally limiting a student’s status are satisfied, the student is automatically changed to full standing by the Graduate College. No graduate degree may be conferred until removal of limitations has occurred. Graduate students and advisors should consult the  Graduate College Probation Policy for more information.

Non-degree to Degree Status

A non-degree student wishing to change status to a degree seeking student is required to apply via Slate, the online application system. Preference is not given for students currently enrolled as non-degree. Non-degree applicants are expected to adhere to deadlines and be considered with other applicants. Students are eligible to transfer up to 12 hours of non-degree coursework towards a master's degree program. This process occurs via a petition to the Graduate College and only after admittance to a master's degree program.

Academic Leave of Absence

Students are entitled to a total of two terms (fall and/or spring semesters) of academic leave.   However, students must document their request for a leave and meet the eligibility requirements in accordance with the Graduate College policy.

Withdrawal from Graduate Program

If a degree-seeking student decides to leave their graduate program, they should complete the College of Education Graduate Program Withdrawal Form. Once the form is submitted it will be uploaded to the student's file

Apply Now Request Information Contact Us