College of Education

About Us Admissions & Academics Research & Engagement Departments & Faculty Current Students

CoE Graduate Handbook

Exceptions to Policies

Students may request exceptions to College of Education or Graduate College policies and deadlines by consulting their advisor and completing the appropriate documentation. College of Education policies are the policies set forth in this handbook. Graduate College policies can be found in the Graduate College Handbook. Both exceptions go through multiple levels of approval. An exception approved at one level may be denied at another level.

Exceptions to College of Education policies may be requested by completing the College of Education Exception Request form. The request will be forwarded to the student's advisor for a decision, along with any other relevant parties. A final decision will be made by the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs in the College of Education.

Actions such as fulfilling the foundations requirements using a course not previously approved as a foundation course or using a similar graduate level course that has been completed at another accredited institution can be requested through this process. Copies of official transcripts from the institution where the graduate credit was earned must be submitted with the form.

To request exceptions to the Graduate College policies or deadlines, the student should complete the Graduate Student Petition. Petitions require a minimum of two signatures (advisor and department chair/head or authorized signatory) but may require additional signatures. Upon receipt of the department chair/head's signature (or authorized signatory), the Graduate Student Services Office will forward it to the Graduate College for final decision.

Other actions including transferring credit, changing curriculum, and registration changes require other Graduate College forms.

Change of Curriculum from Certificate of Advanced Study to a Doctoral Program

If a student is pursuing a Certificate of Advanced Study (C.A.S.) and decides to seek a doctoral degree instead, the usual change of curriculum petition procedures should be followed before the Certificate of Advanced Study degree has been conferred. If this change is approved, students may petition to transfer up to 24 hours of course credit earned for the Certificate of Advanced Study taken within five years of the date of the petition toward the doctoral degree. Credit transfer is not automatic and subject to Departmental approval and the policies governing the doctoral program. Students are encouraged to review the time to degree policies governing the doctoral degrees.

When considering a Certificate of Advanced Study program or a change of status from Certificate of Advanced Study to a doctoral degree program one issue to consider is that doctoral degree time limit begins with the first course used to meet doctoral requirements, even if this course was originally taken as part of a Certificate of Advanced Study program.

Once a C.A.S. degree has been conferred, courses cannot be transferred to any doctoral program. The C.A.S. is considered a terminal degree and should only be pursued by those not intending to continue for doctoral study.

Apply Now Request Information Contact Us