The Certificate of Advanced Study is a terminal degree for education professionals beyond the master’s degree. It should not be taken by students who plan to pursue a doctorate at a later date. Credit earned for an awarded C.A.S. degree cannot be applied toward a doctorate degree. The Certificate of Advanced Study is offered on-campus and off-campus.

Program Plan

Upon admission to a Certificate of Advanced Study program, each student is assigned an academic advisor. Using a C.A.S. Degree Program Plan form, the student and advisor plan a program of study to meet the student’s individual goals and general degree requirements. A copy of the student’s program, signed by the advisor, must be filed during the first semester of registration.

Time Limits

Graduate students and advisors should be guided by the Graduate College policy on C.A.S. degree time limits.  If a time extension is desired, it may be requested by completing a Graduate Student Petition. These petitions are considered and acted upon by the student’s advisor, the department, and the Graduate College. Each individual who has authority to act on the petition may either approve or deny the petition.

Course Requirements for C.A.S. Students

All students admitted to a Certificate of Advanced Study degree program must fulfill Graduate College requirements for the Certificate of Advanced Study degree, departmental requirements, and the following College of Education minimum requirements on the Urbana campus or through Urbana off-campus or online courses:

Students who have completed a master’s degree at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign must fulfill the following minimum requirements:

  1. The entire program must be planned in advance and must be preceded by at least two years of acceptable professional work experience. The C.A.S. Degree Program Plan form must be completed and filed with the Graduate Student Services Office.
  2. Thirty-two or more hours in approved coursework must be taken beyond the master’s degree.
    1. Sixteen of these 32 hours must be taken at the 500-level.
    2. 595 Independent Study can be applied up to a maximum amount of eight hours.

Students who have completed a master’s degree at another institution other than the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign must also fulfill the following minimum requirements:

  • Completion of 32 hours including 8 hours of foundations coursework:
    • 4 hours: Psychological Foundations coursework in Educational Psychology:
      EPSY 400, 401, 402, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 430, 485, 490, 553
    • 4 hours: Philosophical and Social Foundations coursework in Education Policy, Organization and Leadership
      EOL 548, EPS 400, 402, 405, 410, 411, 412, 413, 415, 420, 421, 423, or 424

In addition to the specific requirements stated above, individual programs in the College of Education may require additional courses to complete the student’s degree program.

Evaluation of Academic Progress

Annual evaluations are required for all degree-seeking graduate students and will occur every spring semester.

The student will complete an electronic self-evaluation detailing academic progress. The advisor (or department designee) will assess the progress report and provide online feedback to the student.  An additional authorized faculty member may also be asked to review the progress report. The evaluation is kept in the student’s permanent file. Failure to complete the academic self-evaluation by the deadline may result in a hold being placed on the student's account.

When a decision is made that a student is not making satisfactory progress, the student, the advisor, the Director of Graduate Studies and the Graduate College will be informed in writing by the department. Graduate students and advisors should consult the Graduate College Probation Policy for more information.

Degree Certification Request

Prior to the date of degree conferral, students may need verification that they have completed all requirements for the degree (e.g., for employment or visa renewal). At any time after degree requirements have been satisfied, the student may request a Degree Certification Letter or use the online Degree Verification system.