Proficiency Examinations

Proficiency examinations are offered for many courses open to freshmen and sophomores. Proficiency examinations in more advanced undergraduate courses may be taken only if recommended by the head of the department and with the approval of the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. Arrangements to take a proficiency examination should be made through the department which offers the course.

If the proficiency examination is passed, credit toward graduation is awarded in the amount regularly allowed in the course. Students may not take proficiency exams in courses if they have completed more than one course that is more advanced than the course they wish to proficiency. In addition, proficiency examinations may not be taken to earn credit in a course that has been failed.

Please note: Proficiency credit may not be used toward licensure, endorsement, or approvals.

Center for Innovation in Teaching & Learning (CITL)

Enrollment in Center for Innovation in Teaching & Learning (CITL) courses offers a unique opportunity to earn academic credit toward a degree through online courses and programs, including both online and site-based. CITL permits students to solve scheduling problems, study while away from campus, and accelerate the progress toward a degree. Registration in CITL courses can be used to satisfy minimum residency requirements for a degree and count toward the twelve-hour minimum required for full-time status. Credit and grades earned in CITL courses are figured into the Illinois grade point average the same as courses taken in residence.

Independent Study Courses

Courses taken on an independent study basis (typically courses numbered 199 and 390) must be approved by petition prior to registration if the student wishes to fulfill a degree requirement in this manner. Prior to registering for the course, students must submit a college petition with a syllabus or plan of study for evaluation. The instructor must sign the petition and it must be accompanied by the syllabus or plan of study that fully explains the scope of the independent study. After the petition is reviewed, the student will be notified as to whether the independent study is acceptable in fulfilling a specific degree requirement. For teacher licensure purposes, students should keep a copy of the syllabus throughout their professional lives in case a description of the course is ever needed. Descriptions of independent study courses are not retained by departments.

Attendance at Other Institutions

Students may earn credit by attending community colleges or four-year institutions provided they satisfy the minimum residency requirements for graduation. Students should check the transferology web site to confirm the course has been articulated by the college of control and the transferability of the course(s). If the course has not been articulated, the student must provide a course syllabus for review to the Admissions/Records Officer in the Student Academic Affairs Office. 

Following completion of the course(s), students should have an official transcript sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 901 West Illinois Street, Suite 103, Urbana, IL 61801. Electronic transcripts can be submitted; however there are specific requirements in place. After the transcript is processed, the credit will be added to the student’s record.

Students are responsible to disclose and provide complete, official transcripts from any post-secondary work completed outside the University of Illinois system, including all international and domestic coursework for the purpose of consideration of transfer articulation. Please see student code for details. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that credit taken elsewhere is transferred back to the University in a timely manner. Grades earned in coursework completed at other institutions are averaged into the student's cumulative grade point average. 

Intercampus Registration

Intercampus Registration allows students at one campus of the University to register for courses unique to another campus of the University without having to transfer. This program also provides for summer enrollment at another University campus and allows students to transfer their financial aid to the host campus. Under this arrangement, students are registered through the home campus and do not interrupt residency requirements for graduation. More detailed information concerning this program may be obtained online.