College of Education

About Us Admissions & Academics Research & Engagement Departments & Faculty Current Students

Secondary School Teaching

Graduate Options

If you would like to pursue teaching, but you cannot fit the minor into your degree, there are a few different options you can consider.

UIUC Masters plus Licensure Program

The Secondary Education Master plus Teacher Licensure grants a Master’s degree and high school licensure in

  • English: Language Arts

  • Science

  • Mathematics

  • History: Social Science

In addition to the three semester professional education sequence, students must complete specific content area and masters level courses.

If you have an undergraduate degree in one of these four content areas, these classes may be applied to the requirements for the Masters as well. 

Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program

The Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program places recent college graduates and young professionals as English teaching assistants in primary and secondary schools or universities overseas - improving foreign students’ English language abilities and knowledge of the United States while increasing the U.S. student's own language skills and knowledge of the host country. ETAs may also pursue individual study/research plans in addition to their teaching responsibilities.

To learn more, visit the Fulbright website. If you would like assistance applying, please contact the National and International Scholarship Program on campus.

Service Teaching 

  • National, state, and locally led programs allow students to earn their teaching license by teaching in areas of high need. 
  • Students are required to have a bachelor’s degree, and a two year commitment is usually required as well.
  • Some examples of these programs are Blue Engine (NYC) and the Academy for Urban School Leadership (Chicago).
Apply Now Request Information Contact Us