Get Your Minor in Secondary Education

Earn your bachelor’s degree in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and your secondary education minor from the College of Education. Prepare to teach students in grades 9-12, teaching the subjects you are most passionate about. 

You will:

  • Participate in a targeted three-semester professional-education sequence
  • Complete rigorous courses aligned to high school curriculum and Illinois State Board of Education standards 
  • Teach and observe in classrooms both in Urbana-Champaign and Chicago
  • Be able to participate in education-focused study abroad programs
  • Graduate with a degree and a license to teach in Illinois 


Secondary Education Prospective Student Meetings for the Fall 2019 Semester, beginning September 26, 2019.

Meetings will be held in Room 192 at the Education Building from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm on the following dates:

September 26, 2019

October 10, 2019 and October 24, 2019

November 7, 2019 and November 21, 2019

December 5, 2019 and December 19, 2019

Who should apply

Undergraduate students who want to teach at the high school level in the following content areas: 

  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Geology: Earth Science Teaching
  • English
  • History 
  • Mathematics
  • Physics

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the College of Education have partnered to providea dynamic educational experience for students. Students will receive a full degree in their content area while receiving an education minor and earning their State of Illinois license to teach grades 9-12.

Students should apply to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and need to declare IB or MCB Biology, Chemistry, English, Geology, History, Mathematics, or Physics.

In either their sophomore or junior year, students will apply for the secondary education minor through the College of Education.

After being admitted, the professional education sequence will start in the spring semester of their Junior year. Courses are in a three semester sequence and must be completed in order. Students will complete the courses in the spring of their Senior year with student teaching.

As a student who wants to pursue the secondary education minor, it is important to remember:

You’ll be a student in the College of LAS. This is where you’ll do advising, complete any administrative tasks, walk for graduation, etc.

The minor is administered by the College of Education. The College of Education will assist you with your clinical experiences (placements), the professional education sequence, edTPA, etc.

The Council on Teacher Education (CoTE) will be your liaison to obtaining your State of Illinois 9-12 license.Their staff help you along the your way to ensure that everything is in order to earn your license and to answer questions about licensure and endorsements.

The State of Illinois issues and maintains records about your license. The University of Illinois does not issue you the license to teach; it is controlled by the state and you must abide by their laws and requirements.

Programs Offered