One of the leading programs in philosophy of education in the world, we view philosophy as a critical and reflective activity central to sound educational policy, practice, and research. Drawing on diverse philosophical traditions, our students explore educational aims, concepts, and practices across a range of settings, including the nature of the teacher-student relationship, the possibilities and limitations of technology in education, liberal education, the ethics of teaching, critical thinking, aesthetic education, education and human rights, and what makes a “public” school public.
The faculty in this program each have established international reputations. They include:
Department: Education Policy, Organization and Leadership
Graduate students looking to fill faculty and leadership positions in universities and other educational institutions who want to:
Our recent graduates occupy faculty and leadership positions in universities and other educational institutions around the globe.
· Maria Cynthia (MC) Anderson, College Ready Project, Illinois Board of Higher Education
· Jane Blanken-Webb, Assistant Professor, Wilkes University
· Roman Friedman, Global Learning Specialist, LAS International Programs, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
· Heather Greenhalgh-Spencer, Associate Professor, Department of Curriculum and Instruction; Associate Dean of Graduate School, Texas Tech University
· Liz Jackson, Professor and Head of Department of International Education, the Education University of Hong Kong
· Katherine Jo, Director of Program Development and Design, The Purpose Project at Kenan Institute for Ethics, Duke University
· Mark Keitges, Director of the Graduate English Language Learners Program, Assistant Director, Writing Program, Rutgers University
· Seamus Mulryan, Assistant Professor, Educational Studies, Ursinus College
· Emily G. Wenneborg, Executive Director, Pascal Study Center and Assistant Professor, Urbana Theological Seminary
The philosophy of education program is also a leader in producing two major publications in the field:
Find out what you need to start your application process.
Learn about application deadlines & required materials.
Review our tuition and fee rates by academic year or by term.