- About Us
- Research & Outreach
Linda Herrera is a social anthropologist with regional specialization in the Middle East and North Africa. She works in the fields of comparative/international education, international development studies, and youth studies. She received her B.A. from the University of California at Berkeley in Middle East Studies, MA from the American University in Cairo in Anthropology and Sociology, and PhD from Teachers College, Columbia University in Comparative and International Education. Her research interests lay at the intersection of education and social transformation in the Middle East and North Africa, critical ethnography and critical pedagogy, and youth citizenship and politics in a digital era. More recently she has been turning her attention to youth politics and revolution in the Middle East.
- Ph.D., Comparative and International Education, Columbia University,
- M.A., Anthropology and Sociology, American University in Cairo,
- B.A., Middle East Studies, University of California, Berkeley,
Key Professional Appointments
- Associate Professor, Education Policy, Organization and Leadership, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, 2011--
- Senior Lecturer of Development Studies, International Institute of Social Studies, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, 2005-2011
Activities & Honors
- Co-editor of Jadaliyya's On Media and Reporting Page, Jadaliyya, Arab Studies Institute, 2012- present
Research StatementLinda Herrera is a social anthropologist with regional specialization in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). She works in the fields of global studies in education, critical youth studies and communications and new media. She has undertaken critical ethnographic studies of schools and virtual spaces. Since the Arab Uprisings of 2011, Herrera has turned her attention to changing modes of citizenship, educational alternatives, and power struggles of the digital age.
- Herrera, Linda (2014). Revolution in the age of social media: The Egyptian popular insurrection and the internet. Verso: New York and London.
- Herrera, Linda (2012). Youth and Citizenship in the Digial Era: A view from Egypt. Harvard Educational Review, 82(3), 333-352.
- Herrera, Linda, . M. Peters, (2011). The Educational and political significance of new social media: a dialogue with Linda Herrera and Michael A. Peters. E-Learning and Digital Media, 8(4), 364-374.
- Herrera, Linda, Bayat, A. (2010). Being young and Muslim: new cultural politics in the global south and north. Oxford University Press: New York, NY.
- Herrera, Linda, Torres, C. (2006). Cultures of Arab schooling: critical ethnographies from Egypt. State University of New York Press: New York, NY.
- Herrera, Linda , , , Herrera, Linda. Wired Citizenship: Youth Learning and Activism in the Middle East:. Routledge: New York.
In The News
Jan. 22, 2013