- Applicants must not have earned a bachelor's degree by the term of entry. (Applicants who have a baccalaureate degree may want to contact the appropriate graduate department about the possibility of pursuing teacher certification.)
- Junior standing (60 hours completed by term of entry), except for Biology, which is a Senior entry program
- Satisfactory completion of Composition I.
- Two years of one language other than English in high school or the second level course in college must be completed by desired term of entry --LAS requires through the fourth level in one language or through the third level in two: level in high school terms equals years and in college terms semesters.
- Demonstration of high-level written communication (quality of writing, thoughtfulness about education, reflective thinking).
Students interested in applying should:
- Review the requirements for the minor
- Submit the following:
- Two well organized 2-3 page, typed essays, double spaced with font size no smaller than 10 point. Use your previous learning and teaching experiences, including any tutoring, to provide concrete examples.
- Essay #1: Explain why you are interested in teaching your content major to high school students.
- Essay #2: Will contain two parts:
2a. Discuss and reflect upon how your experiences (or the lack thereof) have influenced your ideas of cultural/racial/ethnic diversity (language, people with disabilities, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, etc.).
2b. How does your understanding of and experiences with cultural/racial/ethnic diversity (language, people with disabilities, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, etc.) impact your understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a secondary teacher?
- Please note: Each essay will be read and reviewed by faculty/staff and will be a deciding factor in any admission decisions, regardless of whether a student applicant meets the GPA requirements and satisfies content course prerequisites.
- Students in teaching licensure programs must maintain grades of C- or above in ALL content and professional education coursework in additional to maintaining a content (major) GPA of 2.5 or above. If you have completed a grade replacement or have a grade replacement in progress, you must scan and upload it into the Application Manager.
- Begin working on your experience with children of a similar age and stage of development for which you will seek licensure.
- E-mail the Secondary Education Academic Adviser, if you have questions.