Master of Science
The Master’s of Science in Mental Health Counseling is a two-year, 61-credit hour program. The face-to-face program emphasizes training in psychological science and cultural diversity in practice across the lifespan. Graduates from the mental health counseling and career counseling tracks are Illinois Licensed Professional Counselor (LCP) licensure eligible. Graduates also are prepared for doctoral education in an applied psychology area or to enter the counseling field as a master’s level professional.
Typical Plan of Study (61 hours)
- EPS 405: Historical and Social Barriers
- EPSY 403: Research Methods in Learning Sciences
- EPSY 419: Counseling Psychology Pre-Practicum
- EPSY 420: Theories of Psychotherapy
- EPSY 510: Counseling Psych/Ethics ProSem
- EPSY 511: Vocational Psychology Theories and Assessment
- EPSY 515: Multicultural Counseling
- EPSY 520: Counseling Psychology Practicum (A)
- EPSY 520: Counseling Psychology Practicum (B, 8 hours)
- EPSY 521: Group Counseling
- EPSY 590: Advanced Seminar in Educational Psychology (Substance Abuse)
- EPSY 590: Advanced Seminar in Educational Psychology (Family Therapy)
- EPSY 590: Advanced Seminar in Educational Psychology (Psychopathology)
Students will choose one of three areas of study (Mental Health Counseling, Career Counseling, and Counseling and Developmental Sciences) for their practicum experience.
Human Growth and Development
- EPSY 405: Personality and Soc Dev
- EPSY 407: Adult Learning and Development
- EPSY 430: Early Adolescent Development
Select one of the following
- EPSY 413: Intelligence Assessment and Theory
- PSYC 567: Personality Assessment
- SPED 517: Disability Issues in Special Education
Select one of the following
To determine program cost, use the Cost Calculator. Please note that online students should reference the tuition cost only, there are not additional fees for online.
This section is designed to provide you with quick access to the most essential information. If you don't find something you need here, email us at email@example.com and one of our staff will be happy to assist you.
- Academic and Registration Support and Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online Course Technical Support Services: IT Partners @ Education at (217) 244-7005 or email@example.com
- Email and Passwords Support Services: Campus Technology Services at (217) 244-7000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will need to make sure your personal computer meets the necessary technology requirements by reviewing your software and hardware standards.
- View the Video Help page for Video Playback Support
- View the Technical Support page to get technical requirements and support.
- Learn@Illinois Moodle Service Support
- Collaborate Support
- Video Playback Support
- Confluence Wiki Support