- About Us
- Research & Outreach
- MBA., Executive Business Administration, New York Institute of Technology, 2006
- Ph.D., Learning Design and Technology, Purdue University, 2006
- M.Ed., Educational Technology, Purdue University, 2002
- B.S., Material Science and Engineering, Purdue University, 1999
Key Professional Appointments
- Associate Professor, Education Policy, Organization and Leadership, University of Illinoist at Urbana-Champaign, 2013--
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Educational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2009--
- Assistant Professor, Education Policy, Organization and Leadership, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2011-2013
- Assistant Professor, Human Resource Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007-2011
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Educational Technology, Curriculum and Instruction, Purdue University, 2006-2007
Activities & Honors
- Consulting revieiwer for Human Resource Development International, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2007- present
- Consulting reviewer for ETR&D, Educational Technology Research and Development, Association for Educational Communication and Technology, 2007- present
- Reviewing manuscripts related to Cognitive Load Theory and game design, British Journal of Educational Technology, 2006- present
- Past President, Division of Training and Performance, Association for Educational Communications and Technology, 2013-2014
- AHRD Cutting Edge Research Award, 20th Annual AHRD International Research Conference in the Americas, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2013-2013
- President, Training and Performance, Division of Training and Performance, Association for Educational Communications and Technology, 2012-2013
- Virtual HRD SIG Member at Large for Academic Research, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2012-2013
- Dean’s External Funding Incentive Program for Assistant Professors Award, College of Education, 2012-2012
- Invited Panelist, “Gamifying learning? Is this a joke?”, 2012 AECT International Convention, Association for Educational Communications and Technology, 2012-2012
- President-Elect, Division of Training and Performance, Association for Educational Communications and Technology, 2011-2012
- VP of Communication, Division of Training and Performance, Association for Educational Communication and Technology, 2010-2011
- VP of Communications, Training and Performance Division, Association for Educational Communications and Technology, 2009-2010
- Learning Track Submission Reviewer, Cognitive Science, 2008-2009
- 2008 E-Learn Conference Outstanding Paper Award, Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education, 2008-2008
- Conference Proposal Reviewer, Academy of Human Resource Development, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2008-
- Research Symposium Grant sponsored by National Science Foundation (NSF) and Association for Educational and Communication Technology (AECT) Research and Theory Division, October 2007. ($500), Association for Educational Communication and Technology, 2007-2007
Research StatementMy current research interests focus on the design, development, and evaluation of learning engagement systems targeting higher education and workplaces. Topics have covered:
+ Technological affordance that supports STEM learning in higher education through mobile learning
+ Design attributes and learning support of digital game-based learning systems
+ Learning technologies' cognitive and motivational impact on training, learning, and knowledge management in the workplace
+ Measurement and manipulation of motivational support and cognitive load in technology-enabled multimedia learning environments
- Co-Principal Investigator, ECR: Strategic Integration of MOOCs into Graduate and Professional STEM Programs in 21st Century Research Universities, National Science Foundation, 2013-2015
- Principal Investigator, Network and Online Community Evaluation and Sustainability Plan, Lumpkin Family Foundation, 2011-2011
- Huang, Wen-Hao (2013). Online learning engagement system (OLES) design framework for postsecondary online learning environments: A synthesis on affordances from game-based learning, social media-enabled learning, and open l. Handbook of Research on Teaching and Learning in K-20 Education. IGI Global: Hershey, PA.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Hood, D., Yoo, S.-J. (2013). Gender divide and acceptance of collaborative Web 2.0 applications for learning in higher education. The Internet and Higher Education, 16, 57 – 64.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Li, J., Lin, M. (2013). Game-based virtual-world environments to better engage lifelong learners for open courseware and open learning. Handbook of Research on Technologies for Improving the 21st Century Workforce: Tool for Lifelong Learning. IGI Global: Hershey, PA.
- Hood, D., Huang, Wen-Hao (2013). Professional development with graduate teaching assistants (TA) teaching online. Learning by Doing: Professional Development in Online Learning Environments. IGI Global: Hershey, PA.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, , , Yoo, S.J. (2013). Employee's acceptance towards knowledge management system and its impact on creating learning organizations. Knowledge Management & E-Learning: An International Journal (KM&EL), 5, 434-454.
- Yoo, S.J., Huang, Wen-Hao, , (2013). Engaging online adult learners in higher education: Motivational factors impacted by gender, ages, and prior experiences. The Journal of Continuing Higher Education, 61, 151-164.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Johnson, T., Han, S.-H., , (2013). Impact of online instructional game features on college students' perceived motivational support and cognitive investment: A structural equation modeling stud. The Internet and Higher Education, 17, 58-68.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Johnson, T., Yoo, S.-J., , (2013). Learning organization. Encyclopedia of Terminology for Educational Communications and Technology. New York, U.S.A..
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Yang, D. (2012). Empowering digital learners: a self-managing learning process framework for digital game-based learning system (DGBLS). Interactivity in E-Learning: Case Study and Frameworks. IGI Global: Hershey, PA.
- Yoo, S., Han, S., Huang, Wen-Hao (2012). The roles of intrinsic motivators and extrinsic motivators in promoting e-Learning in the workplace: A case from South Korea. Computers in Human Behaviors, 28, 942-950.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Lin, M, Shen, W (2012). Understanding Chinese-speaking open courseware users: A case study on user engagement in an open courseware portal in Taiwan (Opensource Opencourse Prototype System). Open Learning: The Journal of Open, Distance and e-Learning,, 27(2), 169 – 182.
- Yoo, S., Huang, W-H, Lee, D., Huang, Wen-Hao (2012). The impact of employee’s perception of organizational climate on their technology acceptance toward e-learning in South Korea,. Knowledge Management & E-Learning: An International Journal (KM&EL), 4, .359-378.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Huang, W.-Y., Chui, C. (2011). The impact of specified professional development program information as a marketing tool for effective recruitment. Human Resource Development International, 14, 57-73.
- Huang, Wen-Hao (2011). Learners’ motivational processing and mental effort investment in an online game-based learning environment: a preliminary analysis. Computers in Human Behavior, 27, 694-704.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Tettegah, S. (2010). A conceptual framework to understand the relationship between cognitive load and empathy development in serious games. Interdisciplinary models and tools for serious games: Emerging concepts and future directions. IGI Global.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Nakazawa, K. (2010). An empirical analysis on how learners interact in Wiki in an online graduate level learning technology course. Interactive Learning Environment, 18(3), 233-44.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Huang, W., Tschopp, J (2010). Sustaining iterative game playing processes in DGBL: The relationship between motivational processing and outcome processing. Computers & Education, 55(2), 789-797.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Han, S., Park, U., Seo, J. (2010). Managing employees’ motivation, cognition, and performance: the design of a game-based adaptive performance platform (GAPP). Advances in Human Resource Development, 12, 715-727.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Johnson, T. (2009). Let’s get serious about e-games: A design research approach towards emergence perspective. Ubiquitous learning. University of Illinois Press: Champaign IL.
- Huang, Wen-Hao, Johnson, T. (2008). Design of effective game-based learning environments: A cognitive load approach. Handbook of research on effective electronic gaming in education. Information Science Reference: Hershey, PA.
- Johnson, T., Huang, Wen-Hao (2007). Complex skills development for today's workforce. Understanding models for learning and instruction: Essays in honor of Norbert M. Seel. Springer: New York.