- About Us
- Research & Outreach
- Ph.D., Educational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1988
- M.Ed., Special Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1981
- B.S., Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1972
Key Professional Appointments
- Professor, Educational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana, 2012--
- Associate Professor, Educational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002-2011
- Chair, QUERIES, Educational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007-2010
- Head, Division of Measurement and Evaluation, Office of Instructional Resources, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1994-1999
Activities & Honors
- A++ Award: Advocacy, Activism, and Advancement, 2012 College of Education Graduate Student Conference, College of Education, 2012-2013
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Evaluation, 2005-2010
- University Fellow, Center for Democracy in a Multiracial Society, 2005-2006, Center for Democracy in a Multiracial Society, 2005-2006
Research StatementMy research interests focus on educational evaluation and the intersection of educational accountability issues and high stakes assessment. As educational accountability has become increasingly more important nationally and globally, my work has examined both evaluative capacity building and monitoring issues involved in test-based educational accountability. My current research includes an investigation of the intended and unintended consequences of a state-wide assessment and accountability system in relationship to students, instruction, and educational outcomes.
- Co-Principal Investigator, Illinois Collaborative for Educational Policy Research, Illinois State Board of Education, 2012-2015
- Co-Principal Investigator, Assessing Complex Performance: A Postdoctoral Training Program Researching Students Writing and Assessment in Digital Workspaces, Institute of Education Sciences, 2011-2014
- Principal Investigator, External Review of the ISBE Large Scale Assessment and Accountability System, Illinois State Board of Education, 2008-2013
- Principal Investigator, Stereotype Threat and Math Test Performance Pilot Study, The Spencer Foundation, 2004-2007
- Co-Principal Investigator, Forging Community Partnerships to address the C-U Achievement Gap , , 2003-2004
- Ryan, Katherine, Feller, I. (2012). Evaluation, accountability and performance measurement in national education systems: Trends, methods, and issues. In M. Preedy, N. Bennett & C. Wise (Eds.), Educational leadership: Context, strategy. 2009, Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Ryan, Katherine, Gannon, Slater, N., Culbertson, M., (2012). Improving survey methods with cognitive interviews in small- and medium-scale evaluations. American Journal of Evaluation, 33(3), 414-430.
- Hall, J., Ryan, Katherine (2011). Educational accountability: A qualitatively-driven mixed methods approach. Qualitative Inquiry, 17(1), 105-115.
- Ryan, Katherine, Shepard, L. (2008). The future of test-based educational accountability. Taylor Francis Publishing: Oxford, UK.
In The News
Oct. 30, 2012
At the College's fall faculty meeting held earlier this month, unit leaders announced changes of status and key accomplishments within their respective units. In addition, four faculty members from the College of Education have received promotions effective this academic year. Read more...