- About Us
- Research & Outreach
- Ph.D., Special Education, emphasis in Early Childhood, University of Texas at Austin, 1976
- M.A., Special Education, emphasis in Early Childhood, University of Texas at Austin, 1973
- B.A., Psychology, English, Anthropology, University of Texas at Austin, 1962
Key Professional Appointments
- Emeritus, Special Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champiagn, 2004--
- Joint Faculty Appointment, Human and Community Development, College of Agriculture, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champiagn, 1989--
- Faculty Appointment, Special Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champiagn, 1976--
- Program Coordinator, Infancy and Early Childhood Special Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champiagn, 1976--
- Fellow, Bureau of EducationalResearch, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champiagn, 1996-1999
- Fellow, Bureau of Educational Research, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champiagn, 1983-1985
Activities & Honors
- Arnold O. Beckman Award, in special recognition of grant funded by the Research Board, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1998-1998
- Chancellor's Recognition for Academic Excellence, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1998-1998
- Ted Merrill Award for Excellence in Teaching, Council for Exceptional Children, 1998-1998
- Mather-Spitze Research Award, College of Education, 1997-1997
- Distinguished Senior Scholar, College of Education, 1995-1995
Research StatementMy research interests have led me into three separate but interrelated areas of study,: (a) social interaction between infants with disabilities and their caregivers and the implications of these interactions for the infant's optimal development: (b) policy issues related to personnel working with infants with disabilities and their families, and (c) professional development related to assisting practicing early childhood teachers to upgrade their skills in emergent literacy teaching. I have conducted several studies describing the work roles and professional qualifications of early intervention personnel. I have also conducted descriptive studies of parent-child interaction, with the goal of understanding the differences often found in caregiver behavior during interactions with children with disabilities as compared to those with children without disabilities. With my colleagues, I have studied the views that mothers from different cultural backgrounds hold about their interactions with their babies. My current work is in the area of emergent literacy. With support from an Early Reading First grant, we are providing intensive professional development to teachers in early childhood classrooms in child care, Head Start, and state-funded pre-kindergarten classrooms, studying the impact on their classrooms and on the children whom they teach.
- Principal Investigator, DELL-D Developing Early Language and Literacy in Danville, U.S. Department of Education, 2007-2011
- Principal Investigator, PIWI Outreach: Facilitating Development through Parent-Infant Play Groups, U.S. Department of Education, 1996-1999
- Cole, S., McCollum, Jeanette, Swinford, L., Dewar, G., Hughes, M. (2009). Moving towards relationship-based practices in a crisis nursery setting. Early Childhood Development and Care, 179(7), 863.
- Ostrosky, M., McCollum, Jeanette, Young, S. (2008). Linking curriculum to children's social outcomes: Helping families support children's peer relationships. Young Exceptional Children Monograph Series #9: Linking curriculum to child and family outcome. .
- McCollum, Jeanette, Ostrosky, M. (2008). Family roles in young children's emerging peer-related social competence. Family Influences on Young Children's Emerging Peer-Related Social Competence for Peer-Related Social Competence of Young Children. Paul H. Brookes: Baltimore, MD.
- McCollum, Jeanette, Yates, T., Laumann, B., Hsieh, W. (2007). Replicating a parent-child model: Case analysis of high and low fidelity implementers. Infants & Young Children, 20, 38-54.
- Hemmeter, M., McCollum, Jeanette, Hsieh, W. (2005). Practical strategies for supporting emergent literacy in the preschool classroom. Young Exceptional Children Monographs Series No. 7, 59-74.
- McCollum, Jeanette, Chen, Y. (2003). Parent-child interaction when babies have Down syndrome: The perceptions of Taiwanese mothers. Infants & Young Children.
- Venn, M., McCollum, Jeanette (2002). Exploring the long- and short-term planning practices of Head Start teachers for children with and without disabilities. Journal of Special Education, 35(4), 211-223.
- McCollum, Jeanette, Yates, T., Gooler, F., Bruns, D. (2001). Using "DOTs" to support parents as developmental observers during parent-child groups. Young Exceptional Children Monographs.
- McCollum, Jeanette (2001). Influencing the development of young children with disabilities: Current themes in early intervention. Child & Adolescent Mental Health.
- McCollum, Jeanette (2000). Parent education: What we mean and what that means. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 19(3).
- McCollum, Jeanette, Ree, Y., Chen, Y. (2000). Interpreting parent-infant interaction: Perceptions of Caucasian and Korean parents. Infants & Young Children, 12(4), 22-33.
- Chen, Y., McCollum, Jeanette (2000). Taiwanese mothers' perceptions of the relationship between interactions with their infants and the development of social competence. Early Child Development and Care(162), 25-40.
- McCollum, Jeanette (2000). Taking the past along: Reflecting on our identity as a discipline. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 20, 79-86.
- McCollum, Jeanette (2000). PIWI: A relationship-based approach to early intervention. Project TRIAD, University of Illinois (series of 8 personnel training modules on the PIWI model): Champaign, IL.
- Bruns, D., McCollum, Jeanette, Cohen-Addad, N. (1999). What is and what should be: Maternal perceptions of their roles in the NICU. Infant-Toddler Intervention, 9(3), 281-198.
- McCollum, Jeanette, McBride, S. (1998). Ratings of parent-infant interaction: Raising questions of cultural validity. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 17(4), 494-519.
- Appl, D., Gooler, F., McCollum, Jeanette (1998). Inclusive parent-child play groups. Infant-Toddler Intervention: The Transdisciplinary Journal.