- About Us
- Research & Outreach
J. Jessica Li
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, North China University of Technology,
- M.S., Manufacturing Engineering Technology, East Tennessee State University,
- Ph.D., Human Resource Development, The Pennsylvania State University,
Key Professional Appointments
- Associate Professor, EPOL, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2013--
- Associate Editor, , International Human Resource Development, 2012--
- Assistant Profession, EPOL, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2011-2013
- Assistant Professor, Learning Technologies, University of North Texas, 2006-2011
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Education Administration and Human Resource Develo, Texas A&M University, 2003-2006
- Manager, , Raytheon Company, 2002-2003
- Senior Manager, , The Antioch Company, 2001-2002
- Group Manager, , Nokia, 1999-2001
- Manager, , Motorola, 1994-1999
Activities & Honors
- Associate Editor, Human Resource Development International, 2012- present
- Chair, Cutting Edge Research Committee, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2012- present
- Chair of SIG on China HRD, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2009-
- Editorial Board Member, Human Resource Development International, 2009-
- Outstanding Paper Award Winner at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2012, Emerald Literati Network, 2012-2012
- Cutting Edge Research Award, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2011-2011
- Cutting Edge Research Award, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2007-2007
Research StatementMy primary of research focus can be summarized to two lines of research. One of the lines is to examine corporate learning strategies and practices in relationship to employee learning (formal or informal) and performance improvement in the workplace. The other line of research is to investigate the impact of recent economic reform on Chinese workforce and the implications for human resource development in the Chinese context. Recently, I have developed an interest in virtual worlds and their impact on learning in virtual worlds and learning transfer to real life settings.
- Principal Investigator, Optimizing Student Learning Outcomes: A Comparative Study of Onsite, Virtual and Remote Laboratories in Electrical Engineering, National Science Foundation (University of North Texas), 2011-2014
- Liu, A., Li, Jie (2012). Exploring the corporate university phenomenon: The development and implementation of a comprehensive survey. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 23(1), 103-126.
- Li, Jie, D’Souza, D., Du, Y. (2011). Exploring the contribution of virtual worlds to organizational learning. Human Resource Development Review, 10(3), 264-285.
- Li, Jie, Madsen, J. (2011). Business ethics and workplace guanxi in Chinese SOEs: A qualitative study. Journal of Chinese Human Resource Management, 2(2).
- Li, Jie, Madsen, J. (2010). Examining Chinese managers’ work related values and attitudes. Chinese Management Studies, 4(1), 57-76.
- Li, Jie, Brake, G., Champion, A., Fuller, T., Gabel, S., Hatcher-Busch, L. (2009). Knowledge accessibility and workplace learning. Journal of Workplace Learning, 21(4), 347-364.
- Li, Jie, Nimon, K. (2008). The Importance of recognizing generational differences in HRD policy and practices: A study of workers in Qinhuangdao, China. Human Resource Development International, 11(2), 167-182.