- About Us
- Research & Outreach
- Ph.D., Special Education, Arizona State University, 1984
- M.Ed., Special Education, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1975
- B.A., English, Saint Louis University, 1971
Key Professional Appointments
- Full Professor, Special Education, University of Illinois, 2007-present
- Adjunct, Educational Psychology, University of Illinois, 2004-present
- Affiliate, Curriculum & Instruction, University of Illinois, 2002-present
- Senior Researcher, Center for the Study of Reading, University of Illinois, 1988-present
- Associate Professor, Special Education, University of Illinois, 1994-2007
- Assistant Professor, Special Education, University of Illinois, 1988-1994
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Special Education, University of Illinois, 1987-1988
- Assistant Professor, Special Education, University of Mississippi, 1984-1987
Activities & Honors
- Reading Recovery Trainer Emeritus, Reading Recovery University Trainer Emeritus, Reading Recovery Council of North America, 2011-present
- Faculty Fellow, Academy for Entrepreneurial Leadership, Academy for Entrepreneurial Leadership, 2009-present
- Editorial Board Member, International Reading Association, Reading Research Quarterly, 2006-present
- Editorial Board Member, National Reading Conference, Journal of Literacy Research, 2001-present
- Board of Reviewers, Board of Reviewers, Teacher Education and Special Education Journal, 1984-present
- Associate Chair, Reading and Literacy Working Group for ED 08, National Academy of Education, 2008-2009
- Campus Award for Excellence in Graduate and Professional Teaching, Teaching Award, Office of the Provost, 2007-2008
- Graduate Teaching Award, College of Education, 2006-2007
- Faculty Associate, Center for Advanced Study, 2004-2005
- Alan C. Purves Research Award, National Council of Teachers of English, 1999-2000
- Undergraduate Teaching Award, Award, College of Education, 1998-1999
- Senior Personnel, Entrepreneurial Leadership in STEM Teaching & Learning (EnLiST), National Science Foundation, 2009-2014
- Principal Investigator, Literacy Leadership & Curricular Access for All, Quincy Public School District # 172, 2006-2007
- Co-Principal Investigator, Preparing Leaders in Access by Design (PLAD), U.S. Department of Education, 2006-2010
- Muwana, F., Gaffney, J. (2011). Service-learning experiences of college freshmen, community partners, and consumers with disabilities. Teacher Education and Special Education, 34(1), 21-36.
- Ruppar, A., Gaffney, J. (2011). IEP team decisions for a student with significant support needs: Conversations, negotiations, and power. Research and Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities, 36, 11-22.
- Jeong, J., Gaffney, J., Choi, J. (2010). Availability and use of informational text in second, third, and fourth grades. Research in the Teaching of English, 44, 435-456.
- March, E., Gaffney, J. (2010). Relational identities of students, families, and educators: Shaping educational pathways. Remedial and Special Education, 31, 3-16.
- Wu, X., Anderson, R., Li, W., Wu, X., Li, H., Zhang, J., al, e., Gaffney, J. (2009). Morphological awareness and Chinese children’s literacy development: An intervention study. Scientific Studies of Reading, 13, 26-52.
- Anderson, R., Wang, Q., Gaffney, J. (2006). Comprehension research over the past three decades. Reading research at work: Foundations of effective practice. Guilford Press: New York.
- Packard, J., Chen, X., Li, W., Wu, X., Gaffney, J., Li, H., Anderson, R. (2006). Explicit instruction in orthographic structure and word morphology helps Chinese children learn to write characters. Reading and Writing, 19(5), 457-487.
- Ostrosky, M., Gaffney, J., Thomas, D. (2006). The interplay between literacy and relationships in early childhood settings. Reading & Writing Quarterly, 22(2), 173-191.
- Li, W., Gaffney, J., Packard, J. (2002). Chinese children's reading acquisition: Theoretical and pedagogical issues. Kluwer Academic: Norwell, MA.
- Gaffney, J., Methven, J., Bagdasarian, S. (2002). Assisting older students to read expository text in a tutorial setting: An argument for a high impact intervention. Reading and Writing Quarterly, 18, 119-150.
- Gaffney, J., Anderson, R. (2000). Trends in reading research in the United States: Changing intellectual currents over thirty years. Handbook of Reading Research. Erlbaum: Mahwah, NJ.
- Gaffney, J., Askew, B. (1999). Stirring the waters: The influence of Marie Clay. Heinemann: Portsmouth, NH.