The Mathematics, Science, and Engineering Education program area focuses on research in mathematics, science, and engineering education. The MSE faculty are national and international leaders at the forefront of their fields. They prepare cutting-edge scholars who raise and address vital questions about mathematics, science, and engineering education. The MSE facultysupport and encourage a wide variety of perspectives and research methodologies.
Our graduate degrees offer the advantage of establishing connections between research and practice. We promote interdisciplinary research and collaborative partnerships that will enhance your educational preparation. Our course offerings and research interests highlight the following:
- Constructivism and MST Education
- Current Issues in Science Education
- Digital Learning
- Discourse in STEM Classrooms
- Educational Game Design
- Introduction to Digital Environments
- Learning in Science
- Problem Solving in Mathematics Education
- Professional Development in Mathematics Education
- Science Education and Philosophy of Science
- Sociopolitical Perspectives on Mathematics and Science Education
- Survey of Engineering Education Research
- Teaching and Learning Algebra
- Teaching and Learning Geometry
Quotes from former MSE graduate students
A variety of graduate degrees are offered in Mathematics, Science and Engineering. Students interested in our programs will find general requirements below while guidance more specific to the Ph.D. in MSE is outlined in our MSE PhD Advising Tool.
- Master of Education (EdM) with Secondary Science or Secondary Math Teacher Licensure
- Master of Education (EdM) without licensure
- Master of Arts (MA)
- Master of Science (MS)
- Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS)
- Doctor of Education (EdD)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Who should apply
- Students with a bachelor's degree and some coursework in mathematics, science, or engineering who want to teach secondary science or mathematics. (Master's with certification program.)
- In-service teachers who want to advance their impact in the classroom. (M.Ed. program.)
- Students with strong backgrounds in a mathematics, science, engineering or education field who desire to do cutting-edge research. (M.S. and Ph.D. programs.)
Find out what you need to start your application process.
Learn about application deadlines & required materials.
Review our tuition and fee rates by academic year or by term.
Learn more about paying for your education.
Search our library of frequently asked questions.
Reach out to our Academic Offices for additional support.