Bilingual & English as a Second Language Endorsements
The Bilingual and English as a Second Language (ESL) Endorsements provide educators with a better understanding of key teaching strategies that can help support multilingual students in their classrooms. Students in the courses will learn how to create more engaging learning environments by integrating new media technologies for all students, regardless of language. Students will learn research-based curricular and instructional strategies, including the effective use of new digital media to teach students for whom English is a Second Language. The Bilingual and ESL Endorsement course sequences are designed for Illinois educators who wish to add an endorsement to their Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL). The endorsements may be completed alone as a non-degree student or in conjunction with any degree program.The ESL and Bilingual Endorsements each require a minimum of 18 hours of content in specific areas of study, 100 clock-hours, or three months teaching experience in an appropriate setting. The bilingual endorsement also requires passage of the appropriate content test.
Typical Plan of Study (18-20 hours)
Required Course Sequence for both the ESL and Bilingual endorsements
- CI 433: Foundations of Bilingual Education
- CI 446: Culture in the Classroom
- CI 477: Biling ESL Methods & Material
- CI 517: Bilingual and English as a Second Language Assessment
It is recommended that the courses are taken in this order. CI 433 or CI 446 should be taken first, and CI 517 should always be taken last.
Additional courses may be taken or substituted. See the COTE site on English as a Second Language (ESL) Teacher Subsequent Endorsement and Bilingual Education Subsequent Endorsement
Additional Course for Bilingual
Additional Required Course for ESL
Clinical Experience Clock Hours
100 clock hours in a bilingual clinical setting, or three months teaching experience in bilingual programs with count toward the clock hours for both the bilingual endorsement and the ESL endorsement.
100 clock hours in an ESL clinical setting, or three months teaching experience in ESL programs with count toward the clock hours for the ESL endorsement only.
- The school professional you work with, where the hours are conducted, will need to write a detailed letter documenting the nature of activities, age group of individuals in program, number of days/hours per day worked, etc.
- Letter must be sent to Council on Teacher Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Content Test Requirement
The bilingual endorsement also requires successful completion of a Language Proficiency Test for an Education License with Stipulations Endorsed in Transitional Bilingual in the non-English language to be taught. See Illinois Licensure Testing System for specific testing information.
- For students already holding a Professional Educator License (PEL): Upon completion of the coursework, clinical hours, and testing (if applicable), contact the Council on Teacher Education (email@example.com) to have the endorsement added to the PEL.
To determine program cost, use the Cost Calculator. Please note that online students should reference the tuition cost only, there are not additional fees for online.
This section is designed to provide you with quick access to the most essential information. If you don't find something you need here, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our staff will be happy to assist you.
- Academic and Registration Support and Inquiries: email@example.com
- Online Course Technical Support Services: IT Partners @ Education at (217) 244-7005 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email and Passwords Support Services: Campus Technology Services at (217) 244-7000 or email@example.com
- You will need to make sure your personal computer meets the necessary technology requirements by reviewing your software and hardware standards.
- View the Video Help page for Video Playback Support
- View the Technical Support page to get technical requirements and support.
- Learn@Illinois Moodle Service Support
- Collaborate Support
- Video Playback Support
- Confluence Wiki Support