- About Us
- Research & Outreach
Kern Alexander’s current research interests include education finance and law. He has worked extensively as an expert in state school finance litigation. He is the Editor of the Journal of Education Finance and has recently completed a major revision of his widely-used graduate text, American Public School Law. Having served as president of two public universities, Alexander has an ongoing research interest in high education administrating, finance, and law.
- Diploma, Educational Studies (with distinction) Two dissertations, Oxford University, Pembroke College, 1977
- EDD., Educational Administration, Indiana University, Bloomington, 1965
- B.A., English and History, Centre College of Kentucky, 1961
Key Professional Appointments
- Excellence Professor, Department of Educational and Organizational Leadership, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002-present
- Interim President, Murray State University, Murray, KY, 2006-2006
- President, Murray State University, Murray, Kentucky, 1994-2001
- University Distinguished Professor, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia, 1988-1994
- President, Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, Kentucky, 1985-1988
- Education Policy and Budget Coordinator, State of Florida, Office of the Governor, Governor D. Robert Graham, 1982-1985
- Professor, Department of Educational Administration, College of Education, University of Florida, 1968-1985
- Director, Institute for Educational Finance, University of Florida, 1972-1982
- Associate Director, then Director, National Educational Finance Project, 1968-1974
- Chief, Financial Practices Section, Washington D.C., Office of Construction, US Office of Education, 1966-1968
Activities & Honors
- Chair, Board of Editors and Editor, Journal of Education Finance, -present
- Co-Coordinator by contract, The Edwin J. O’Leary Endowment in Financial Management, O'Leary Endowment, 2002-present
- Dr. Samuel Robinson Award for Leadership and Service to Education, State Board of Education of Kentucky, 2012
- Lifetime Achievement Award, National Education Finance Conference, 2011
- Samuel I. Hicks Executive-in-Residence, Ohio University, 2008
- Distinguished Service Award, Kentucky School Superintendents' Association, 2006
- Consultant, Council for Better Education, Inc., Kentucky, 2004-2006
- Alexander, S. Research for Book on Equity Litigation in Public School Finance: Rose v. Council for Better Education.
- Alexander, S. Research in Kentucky State Archive, Frankfort, KY, a technical analysis of the liability and remedy of the landmark litigation, Rose v Council for Better Education, Inc.
- Alexander, S., Salmon, D. (2014). Financing Public Schools: Historical, Political and Legal Perspectives. Routledge/Taylor & Francis: New York, NY.
- Alexander, K. (2011). Higher Education Law: Policy and Perspectives. Routledge/Taylor & Francis: New York, NY.
- Alexander, K., Alexander, M. (2011). American Public School Law. Wadsworth Cengage Learning: Belmont, CA.
- Alexander, K., Alexander, w., David, M. (2009). The Law of Schools, Students and Teachers in a Nutshell. West Publishing Company: St. Paul, MN.
- Alexander, K. (2008). Education and Econonic Growth: Investment and Distribution of Financial Resources. Linton Atlantic Books, Ltd: Yarnton, Oxon. United Kingdom.
- Alexander, K. (1995). Public School Finance. Allyn and Bacon: Boston, MA.
In The News
Kern Alexander on recent Supreme Court decisions that reverse legal precedents for education funding
Jul. 16, 2013