- About Us
- Research & Outreach
Kern Alexander’s current research interests include education finance and law. He has worked extensively as an expert in state school finance litigation. He is the Editor of the Journal of Education Finance and has recently completed a major revision of his widely-used graduate text, American Public School Law. Having served as president of two public universities, Alexander has an ongoing research interest in high education administrating, finance, and law.
- Diploma, Educational Studies (with distinction) Two dissertations, Oxford University, Pembroke College, 1977
- EDD., Educational Administration, Indiana University, Bloomington, 1965
- B.A., English and History, Centre College of Kentucky, 1961
Key Professional Appointments
- Excellence Professor, Department of Educational and Organizational Leadership, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002--
- Interim President, Murray State University, Murray, KY, 2006-2006
- President, Murray State University, Murray, Kentucky, 1994-2001
- University Distinguished Professor, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia, 1988-1994
- President, Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, Kentucky, 1985-1988
- Education Policy and Budget Coordinator, State of Florida, Office of the Governor, Governor D. Robert Graham, 1982-1985
- Professor, Department of Educational Administration, College of Education, University of Florida, 1968-1985
- Director, Institute for Educational Finance, University of Florida, 1972-1982
- Associate Director, then Director, , National Educational Finance Project, 1968-1974
- Chief, Financial Practices Section, Washington D.C., Office of Construction, US Office of Education, 1966-1968
Activities & Honors
- Co-Coordinator by contract, The Edwin J. O’Leary Endowment in Financial Management, O'Leary Endowment, 2002- present
- Editor, University of Illinois Press, Journal of Education Finance, 2002- present
- Dr. Samuel Robinson Award for Leadership and Service to Education, State Board of Education of Kentucky, 2012-2012
- Lifetime Achievement Award, National Education Finance Conference, 2012-2012
- Distinguished Service Award, Dr. Kern Alexander of University of Illinois received the first NEFC Lifetime Achievement Award for a career devoted to progress in the field of education finance., National School Finance Conference, 2011-2011
- Samuel I. Hicks Executive-in-Residence, Athens, Ohio University, 2008-2009
- Consultant, Missouri School Finance Litigation, Education Finance Litigation, State of Missouri, 2006-2008
- Distinguished Service Award, Kentucky School Superintendents' Association, 2006-2006
- Consultant, Council for Better Education, Inc., Kentucky, 2004-2006
- Consultant, Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs Law Firm, Kentucky Court Case, Young v. Williams, 2004-2006
- Consultant, Miami-Dade Public School System, 2004-
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, School of Education, Indiana University, 1999-1999
- Alexander, Samuel, Alexander, Samuel (2011). Higher education law: Policy and perspectives. Routledge: Taylor-Francis Group.
- Alexander, Samuel, Alexander, M. (2011). American public school law (8th ed.). Wadsworth, OH: Belmont, CA.
- Alexander, Samuel, Alexander, with, David, M. (2009). The Law of Schools, Students and Teachers in a Nutshell. West Publishing Company: St. Paul, MN.
- Alexander, Samuel (2008). Education and Econonic Growth: Investment and Distribution of Financial Resources. Linton Atlantic Books, Ltd: Yarnton, Oxon. United Kingdom.
- Alexander, Samuel (1995). Public School Finance. Allyn and Bacon: Boston.
In The News
Kern Alexander on recent Supreme Court decisions that reverse legal precedents for education funding
Jul. 16, 2013