Q.  Can clinical faculty submit a course proposal?

 A.  No, tenured or tenure-track faculty will need to propose the course. However, the syllabus can be from any level faculty (visiting, clinical, etc.).

Q.  How do I propose a new course that is a required course in a program?

A.  1) Answer yes to the question on the proposal “Does the addition of this course impact the departmental curriculum?”  State where and why it is a required course.   Be specific about where it fits in that program.   2) Departments need to ensure that a required course will have instructional capacity.  This can be done by adding multiple instructors to the course proposal and providing a statement that maps out when each instructor will teach the course. 

Q.  Do I need to complete a New Course Outline form if I want to teach a separate section of an existing 199 special topics course?

A.  No, paperwork is not needed.  Simply have the department add the section.

Q.  How do I determine the effective term?

A. The effective term will generally be Fall 20XX, even if you plan to teach the course in Spring.  If you are submitting a course request for a term past the current academic year, use Fall of that academic year.  (Example, the current academic year is 2016-17.  The course will be taught Spring 2018.  Use Fall 2017 as the effective term.)

A course submitted for the current academic year needs to take the Academic Catalog into consideration.  The Academic Catalog is the program that incoming freshmen are held accountable to.  If the course does not affect the current year Academic Catalog, you can use whichever term you wish.  If it does affect the current year Academic Catalog, carefully review whether 1) it can be effective the following fall semester or 2) it is okay that this changes the current Academic Catalog.  (Example, the current academic year is 2016-17.  The course revision is for a change in credit hours for Spring 2017 on a required course in a degree program shown in the Academic Catalog.  Determine if freshmen need to take the course in Spring 2017 with the revised credit hours.  If so, continue with Spring 2017.  If not, make the change effective Fall 2017.)  A program revision is also required if the Academic Catalog changes.

Q.  How do I assign a permanent course number to an omnibus course?

A.  If you want to assign a new course number, you must prepare a New Course Outline Form.  If you want to combine the omnibus course with an existing course, you must complete a Course Revision form to change the course description.  In the justification, specify that you need to remove the Section/CRN for the existing omnibus course.

Q.  If I have an 8-week four-hour course, how do I mark question 10 on the New Course Outline form?   Is it a full-term course or less than full term?

A.   It would be considered less than full term.  This question refers to the duration of a full traditional semester. 

Q.  If a course is online or hybrid instruction, does it have to go through additional reviews?

A.  No, there generally is not an extra level of review for online or hybrid courses unless their addition significantly impacts an online program. CEEED can be involved if the course will cause a change in hours for a program or if there is something out of the ordinary the students are being asked to do.

Q.  What should the syllabus include?

A.  Consult the Center for Teaching Excellence guidelines. In addition, it must include:

  • Academic integrity statement
  • Disabilities disabilities statement
  • Faculty contact information
  • Contact hours
  • Detailed topical outline
  • Basic and recommended current texts
  • Number of examinations
  • Work required of the students
  • Basis for determining the student’s grade

Q.  Can freshmen take a 300- or 400-level course?

A.  Yes, nothing restricts a freshmen or sophomore from registering for a 400-level course (unless the unit sets up a restriction at the section level). However, it may be a challenge in marketing the course to freshmen as they may shy away from a 400-level course.

Q.  Do I need a Senate proposal form when I do a CEEED proposal for an online program

 A.  Offering all or part of an existing degree on-line requires only CEEED approval.  It does not require viewing or approval of the Senate Education Policy committee.