James Scholar students are entitled to priority registration.
Stacks Pass to the Main Library
The stacks pass allows students to pull their own books from the main library as well as to study in the stacks.
Notation on Transcript
A notation on the transcripts allows James Scholar participants to acknowledge their work after graduation. This demonstrates good qualities to future employers or academic pursuits.
- Entering freshmen who are in the top 15% of the College of Education admitted applicant pool are invited to participate in the James Scholar Program.
- Transfer and continuing students who have earned at least 3.50 Institutional and Overall grade point averages will be invited to participate in the James Scholars Program at or before the beginning of the fall term for the current academic year.
- The College of Education does not have a self-nomination process.
- Students must complete a James Scholars Project in the fall and spring semester in order to be certified for the year.
- Students must earn a “B-” or better in the fall designated James Scholar course and earn an Institutional and Overall GPA of 3.5 in order to continue in the James Scholars Program for the spring semester. Note: First semester freshmen who earn an Institutional and Overall GPA of 3.25 during their fall semester are eligible to continue in the spring. This applies only to freshmen for their first semester.
Processing and Certification
- Students, who are not registered in an honors course/section, must complete an eHCLA (electronic Honors Credit Learning Agreement).
- Students who are studying abroad will can earn James Scholars Credit for that term.
- The James Scholars eHCLA’s deadline for fall semester is October 1. The spring deadline is March 1. These dates are subject to change.
- Students who have met the James Scholars requirements for fall and spring semesters will be certified a James Scholar for that academic year. This certification will be entered on their transcript.
Commencement & Honor Cord Recognition
The College of Education recognizes the intellectual achievements of James Scholar students. Special James Scholar honor cord recognition is available at the College of Education May commencement ceremony. Eligibility to wear a special James Scholar honor cord at the College of Education commencement is based on the number of academic certifications received. Academic certification is awarded on an annual basis; a student must be a James Scholar both fall and spring to receive academic certification for the year. To receive honor cord recognition, students must:
- Have been awarded at least three annual James Scholar academic certifications if student began studies at the University of Illinois campus-UIUC.
- Of the three academic certifications; two semester projects must be research.
- Have been awarded least two annual James Scholar academic certifications for students who were admitted to the University of Illinois campus as a transfer student.
- There is no research requirement for transfer students.
- Participate your senior year (both transfer and UIUC students); it is highly recommended that you participate in the Professional Development Opportunity your final semester during student teaching.