Students may request exceptions to College of Education or Graduate College policies and deadlines by consulting their advisor and completing the appropriate documentation. College of Education policies are the policies set forth in this handbook. Graduate College policies can be found in the Graduate College Handbook. Both exceptions go through multiple levels of approval. An exception approved at one level may be denied at another level.

Exceptions to College of Education policies may be requested by completing the College of Education Exemption Request form. The request will be forwarded to the student's advisor for a decision, along with any other relevant parties. A final decision will be made by the Associate Dean for Academic Programs in the College of Education.

Actions such as fulfilling the foundations requirements using a course not previously approved as a foundation course or using a similar graduate level course that has been completed at another accredited institution can be requested through this process. Copies of official transcripts from the institution where the graduate credit was earned must be submitted with the form.

To request exceptions to the Graduate College policies or deadlines, the student should complete the Graduate Student Petition. Petitions require a minimum of two signatures (advisor and department chair/head or authorized signatory) but may require additional signatures. Upon receipt of the department chair/head's signature (or authorized signatory), the Graduate Student Services Office will forward it to the Graduate College for final decision.

Other actions including transferring credit, changing curriculum, and registration changes require other Graduate College forms.

Applying Certificate of Advanced Study Credits in Doctoral Programs

A student who has completed course work taken as a part of the requirements for the Certificate of Advanced Study in Education at the University of Illinois may petition for not more than 24 hours of such work and dissertation hours combined toward the program leading to the Ed.D., provided that the course work was taken within five years of the date of the petition.

If an individual is pursuing a Certificate of Advanced Study and decides to seek a Ph.D. instead, the usual change of curriculum petition procedures should be followed without receiving the Certificate of Advanced Study degree.  If this change is effected and the Certificate of Advanced Study degree is not awarded, previous course work intended to apply to the Certificate of Advanced Study can be counted toward the Ph.D. degree, subject to other policies governing the Ph.D. program.

When considering a Certificate of Advanced Study program or a change of status from Certificate of Advanced Study to a doctoral degree program one issue to consider is that doctoral degree time limit begins with the first course used to meet doctoral requirements, even if this course was originally taken as part of a Certificate of Advanced Study program.

Once a C.A.S. degree has been conferred, courses cannot be transferred to any doctoral program. The C.A.S. is considered a terminal degree and should only be pursued by those not intending to continue for doctoral study.