Language & Literature
Grade Level (K-1)
- The students will learn words in The Monsters' Party by Joy Cowley.
- The students will understand the text well enough to create a book of
- The Monsters' Party by Joy Cowley (enough for each student in
- Worksheets to be used during center time
- Read the students The Monsters' Party by Joy Cowley.
- Explain to students the rules during center time:
- Each child will be given a worksheet.
- Each child is to complete the worksheet by drawing a picture and
writing about it.
- Set up center by putting out as many copies of The
Monsters' Party as there are children.
- Have children take turns reading the book aloud.
- Pass out worksheets and have children complete them.
- These worksheets will be compiled into a class book.
- The students will be able to read The Monsters' Party
on their own, using memory and picture cues.
- The students will be able to read their page of the book. Older
students will be able to read the pages of some of their peers.
Reflection & Extension:
I felt that this lesson went really well. I would not change anything about
the way in which I presented it to the class. The only problem that I saw, was
that it really did not teach the students about dinosaurs. Perhaps in the
future I would require students to write a non-fiction page rather than
To extend this lesson, I plan to read the book to the children. I haven't
decided yet if I will read to them, or if I will have each child read their
page to the class. The only problem that I see with having the children read
is time constraints.