Who may participate?
The Competition is open to 2nd-12th Grade Students
What can I submit?
You may submit essays, poems, songs, short stories, drawings, painting, mixed media, sculpture, or multimedia presentations
How do I submit my work?
- Entries MUST be submitted in electronic form.
- Please submit one photo of art submissions
- Submit entries with complete information as requested to: http://go.illinois.edu/mlkcompetition2017
Are there limits on how long my entry may be?
- Text based submissions must be no more than 5 double spaced pages, 12 point font, Times New Roman
- Audio/multimedia submissions must not be longer than 5 minutes duration
- Artwork in any medium is acceptable but it should be easily transportable
What are the acceptable media file formats for entries?
- Images: JPG, PNG, or GIF
- Text: .PDF, .DOC, .DOCX
- Video: .MV4, MP4, .WMV
- Audio: .MP3, .WAV, .AAC
- Website or Web 2.0 media: submit URL
How will my work be judged?
- All the pieces are important, not just those selected as outstanding or honorable mention.
- A committee of community members will select two winning entries as well as five honorable mention entries from each grade division (2-3, 4-5, 6-8, and 9-12).
- The selection will be based on content, style, creativity, and relevance to the theme.
Students submitting winning entries will be honored at the annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration Celebration in January, 2017.