- About Us
- Research & Outreach
SOAR (Student Opportunities for After-School Resources) is an after-school tutoring program intended to supplement the efforts of educators at a local public elementary school and improve the reading and literacy skills of Latino children in grades 2-5. Hosted by Garden Hills Elementary School in Champaign, Illinois, the SOAR program provides homework and reading help, along with enrichment activities, to children who are most in need of some extra help to boost their academic interest and ability.
SOAR has been honored for its outstanding achievements. In 2007 it received recognition from the Champaign County Latino Partnership as the most valuable community program. In 2011, the SOAR program also was honored as the recipient of the CAEPE (Campus Award for Excellence in Public Engagement) Project Award in recognition of efforts in connecting the university with the broader community on issues of critical social importance.
To access additional information, please click on the links on the menu to the left.
- About the Center
- Teacher Collaborator Project
- Learning Opportunities for Educators
- KAM-WAM Krannert Art Museum
- Chancellor's Academy
- SOAR: Student Opportunities for After-School Resources
- After School Arts Program
- 12th Annual MLK Creative Expressions Competition
- Youth Literature Festival
- University Library Portal for Teachers