- Successful completion of the COMP I requirement by term of entry
- Evidence of passing the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP). The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) has determined the ACT Plus Writing or SAT test can be used in lieu of a passing score of the TAP. Please visit the ACT/SAT in lieu of TAP page for more information. Admission requires completion of all steps listed on the resource page above.
- Applicants must have at least a 2.50 Illinois and cumulative GPA at the time of application.
- Two years of one language other than English in high school or through the second level course in college by term of entry.
- Special Education Hours Verification form: As part of the admission process for the University of Illinois College of Education teacher education programs, verification of a minimum of 50 hours of experience with individuals with disabilities is required. At least 20 of these 50 hours must be completed post high school. The experiences may include time in community work, social services, and/or schools. This form should be filled out, printed, and sent to the supervisor(s) of these experiences for verification. You must then scan the form and upload it into the Application Manager. Please submit one form for each different experience.
Please note that grades in certain courses of C- or lower may not be used for State of Illinois licensure, endorsements, or approvals. Please see an Education adviser for a list of applicable courses. If you have completed a grade replacement or have a grade replacement in progress, you must scan and upload it into the Application Manager.
- Students admitted into a teacher education program will be required to attend a mandatory meeting regarding the program and its requirements. Time, date, and location of the mandatory meeting will be provided in your admission letter.
- All undergraduate students enrolled in the Special Education teacher preparation program will be assessed a one-time clinical experience fee to partially cover costs associated with early field and student teaching experiences. This non-refundable fee is based on the approved fee at the time you entered the University per the Illinois Compiled Statue 110 ILCS 305/25. Accepting the offer of admission is an agreement on your part to pay this fee. The fee will be assessed upon enrollment to the professional education sequence courses.
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign requires field placement in school districts as part of various educational curricula and licensure programs. Illinois school districts are required by state law to conduct criminal background checks on applicants for licensed and non-licensed positions with a school district. School districts are requiring that applicants for field placements be subjected to a criminal background check prior to placement in the school districts. Certain convictions are a bar to employment with a school district and are fully set out in the Illinois School Code, 105 ILCS 5/10-21.9, as amended. All convictions will be reviewed for compatibility with placement in a school district. As part of this application, you will be required to consent to a criminal background check including submission of your fingerprints. Failure to consent to the background check will result in your not being able to complete a public school certification program and in the cancellation of any admission to the program. For further information on this requirement, call the Council on Teacher Education at (217) 333-2804.