- About Us
- Research & Outreach
Susan Fowler is active in research related to families of young children with developmental delays and issues involving access to early care and education. She involves graduate students in her research and scholarship. Recent studies with graduate students have included survey and analysis of early care and education providers with a focus on ECSE teachers; involvement of families in story book reading routines with children at risk for school problems and assessment of family supports in helping children with developmental delays develop friendships. She receives funding for her work from state and federal agencies.
- Ph.D., Developmental and Child Psychology, University of Kansas, 1979
- M.A., Experimental Psychology, Notre Dame University, 1976
- B.A., Human Development and Family Life, University of Kansas, 1974
Key Professional Appointments
- Professor, Special Education, University of Illinois, 1993-present
- Dean, College of Education, University of Illinois, 2000-2006
- Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Education, University of Illinois, 1996-2000
- Department Head, Special Education, University of Illinois, 1990-1996
- Associate Professor, Special Education, University of Illinois, 1990-1993
Research StatementMy research focuses on services for families and very young children (birth to age 8) who have developmental disabilities or delays or are at risk due to multiple factors including poverty. I often examine the coordination of services for families and the transition from one program to another. Including children with disabilities in community programs, supporting teachers in differentiating their instruction, and assessing state and national policy issues around the provision of services for very young children represent my most prominent themes. However, I also follow my doctoral students' lead which has introduced me to other topics such as how culture, language and religion influence the way in which families live with their children and seek services or other forms of support.
- Co-Principal Investigator, DELL-D Developing Early Language and Literacy in Danville, U.S. Department of Education, 2007-2011
- Principal Investigator, Illinois Early Childhood Asset Map Project, Illinois State Board of Education, 2006-2014
- Principal Investigator, Illinois Early Learning Web Site, Illinois State Board of Education, 2001-2006
- Fowler, S., Thomas, D., Corr, C. The interrelated roles of early childhood policy and early childhood research. Handbook of Early Childhood.
- Fowler, S., Yates, T., Ostrosky, M. (2011). Professional development for early childhood intervention: Current status and future directions. Early childhood intervention: Programs and policies for special needs children. ABC-CLIO Publishers: Santa Barbara, CA..
- Fowler, S., YATES , T., Ostrosky, M. (2011). Professional Development for early childhood intervention . Early childhood intervention: Programs and policies for special needs children. . ABC-CLIO Publishers, : Santa Barbara, CA..
- Fowler, S. (2010). Early transition of children with special needs . International Encyclopedia of Education. Elsevier: Oxford.
- Jagatheesen, B., Miller, P., Fowler, S. (2010). Autism from a religious perspective: A study of parental beliefs in South Asian Muslim immigrant families. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 25, 98-109.
- Fowler, S., Bloom, P., Talan, T., Beneke, S., Kelton, R. (2008). Who’s caring for the kids? The Status of early childhood workforce in Illinois—2008. National Louis University: Chicago.
- Fowler, S., Yates, T., Lewman, B. (2007). Using a weekly story to plan creative activities and promote early literacy in preschool. Gifted Children Today, 30, 27-33.
- Fowler, S., Ostrosky, M., Yates, T. (2006). Teaching and learning in the early years. Handbook of special education. Sage: UK.
- Corso, R., Fowler, S., Santos, R. (2005). Building healthy relationships with families . Sopris West Educational Services: Longmont, CO.
- Fowler, S., Santos, R., Corso, R. (2005). Appropriate screening, assessment, and family information gathering. Sopris West Educational Services: Longmont, CO.
- Zhang, C., Fowler, S., Bennett, T. (2004). The development of the Individualized Family Service Plans in Early Head Start: The need for collaboration between Early Head Start and Early Intervention. Early Childhood Education Journal, 32, 179-186.
- Lewman, B., Fowler, S. (2002). Spark: A preschool curriculum for promoting learning through arts and literacy. Redbird Press: St. Paul, MN.
- Fowler, S., Donegan, M., Luecke, B., Hadden, D., Phillips, B. (2000). Evaluating community collaboration in writing interagency agreements on the age 3 transition. Exceptional Children, 67(1), 35-50.
- McNeill, J., Fowler, S. (1999). Let's talk: Encouraging mother-child communication during story reading. Journal of Early Intervention, 22, 51-69.
In The News
Jul. 17, 2014
Many aspiring teachers receive their Education degrees from Illinois with the intention of one day leading a classroom and educating students to the best of their abilities. Read more...
President 'following the lead of states' on universal preschool funding, says College's early childhood experts
Jul. 1, 2014
Sep. 10, 2013
SEPTEMBER 10, 2013, UI NEWS BUREAU, CHAMPAIGN, Ill., Sharita Forrest — Illinois officials need to re-examine enrollment and funding policies for the state’s public early childhood education programs to eliminate barriers that may keep the neediest of children from attending. Read more...