- About Us
- Research & Outreach
Lilian KatzProfessor Emerita
Early Childhood and Parenting Collaborative - Clearinghouse on Early Childhood and Parenting
29 Children's Research Center
51 E. Gerty
Champaign, IL 61820
51 E. Gerty
Champaign, IL 61820
- Ph.D., Honorary, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden, 2000
- Doctor of Letters, Honorary, Whittier College, Whittier, California, 1993
- Ph.D., School Education (Psychological Studies), Stanford University, 1968
- Research Fellow, Human Development, Stanford University, 1968
- B.A., Social Science, San Francisco State College, 1964
Key Professional Appointments
- Co-Director, ERIC, Clearinghouse on Elementary and Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 2000-present
- Professor Emerita, Elementary and Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 1999-present
- Professor, Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 1973-present
- Director, ERIC, Clearinghouse on Elementary and Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 1970-2000
- Chairman, Elementary and Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 1979-1981
- Associate Professor, Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 1970-1973
- Assistant Professor, Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 1968-1970
Activities & Honors
- Editor, Early Childhood Research & Practice, 1999-present
- Editorial Board Member, Editorial Board,, The Children's Society UK, 1998-present
- Appointed Member, New Standards Panel, National Center on Education and the Economy, 1997-present
- Chair, Editorial Board, International Journal of Early Years Education, 1997-present
- Member, National Research Council Committee on Early Childhood Pedagogy, National Research Council, 1999-2001
- Member, Panel for "Eager to Learn" early childhood research review, National Research Council, 1998-2000
- Editor in Chief, Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 1986-1992
Research StatementMy past research has focused on developmental stages of teachers; mixed-age grouping; teacher-parent relations; teacher education; self-esteem vs. narcissism; gender differences and pedagogy; and dispositions, their development and assessment.
My current research projects include project approach implementation and issues in mixed-age grouping.
- Principal Investigator, Early Childhood Research & Practice: A Proposal to Fund a Transition & Expansion Year of the First Bilingual Peer-Reviewed, Internet-Only, Early Childhood Education Journal, Bernard van Leer Foundation, 2004-2004
- Principal Investigator, The Rearview Mirror Video Project: Engaging Young Children’s Minds: A Proposal to Prepare a Video Tape for Distribution to Early Childhood Educators, U.S. Department of Education (Foundation for Child Development), 2003-2003
- Co-Principal Investigator, Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services, Early Childhood Research Institute, U.S. Department of Education, 2002-present
- Principal Investigator, ERIC/EECE Subcontract with Collins Management Consulting, Inc, U.S. Department of Education (Collins Management Consulting, Inc.), 2001-2001
- Helm, J., Katz, L. (2001). Young investigators: The project approach in the early years. Teachers College Press: New York.
- Katz, L. (2001). Last class notes. Kindergarten education: Theory, research and practice, 6(1), 35-40.
- Katz, L., Chard, S. (2000). Engaging children's minds: The project approach. Ablex Publishing Corporation: Norwood, NJ.
- Katz, L. (1998). What can we learn from Reggio Emilia? The hundred languages of children: The Reggio Emilia approach: Advanced reflections. Ablex: Norwood, NJ.
- Katz, L. (1995). Talks with teachers of young children: A collection. Ablex Publishing: Norwood, NJ.
- Katz, L., Evangelou, D., Hartman, J. (1990). The case for mixed-age grouping in the early years. National Association for the Education of Young Children: Washington, DC.
- Katz, L., Chard, S. (1989). Engaging children's minds: The project approach. Ablex Publishing: Norwood, NJ.
In The News
Jul. 23, 2014
Professor Emerita Lilian Katz has been a trailblazer in the field of early childhood education at the University of Illinois for more than 45 years. The 83-year-old Katz is a renowned scholar, widely published author, and international speaker who has lectured in all 50 states and spoken in 57 countries. Read more...
Sep. 11, 2013
Lilian Katz, truly a trailblazer in the field of Early Childhood Education, will be featured on WILL-TV's "Illinois Pioneers" program at 7:30 p.m., Thursday, September 12. WILL's David Inge interviewed Katz—a professor, international speaker, author, and renowned scholar. The show's producers described her as "quite remarkable" and they say viewers will be surprised at what she has to say. Read more...
Early Childhood Research & Practice to be available in four languages, Russian translation expected to begin next year
Nov. 1, 2012