- Ph.D., Honorary, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden, 2000
- Doctor of Letters, Honorary, Whittier College, Whittier, California, 1993
- Ph.D, School Education (Psychological Studies), Stanford University, 1968
- Research Fellow, Human Development, Stanford University, 1968
- B.A., Social Science, San Francisco State College, 1964
Key Professional Appointments
- Co-Director, ERIC, Clearinghouse on Elementary and Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 2000--
- Professor Emerita, Elementary and Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 1999--
- Professor, Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 1973--
- Director, ERIC, Clearinghouse on Elementary and Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 1970-2000
- Chairman, Elementary and Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 1979-1981
- Associate Professor, Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 1970-1973
- Assistant Professor, Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois, 1968-1970
Activities & Honors
- Editor, Early Childhood Research & Practice, 1999- present
- Member, National Research Council Committee on Early Childhood Pedagogy, National Research Council, 1999-2001
- Editorial Board Member, Editorial Board,, The Children's Society UK, 1998- present
- Member, Panel for "Eager to Learn" early childhood research review, National Research Council, 1998-2000
- Appointed Member, New Standards Panel, National Center on Education and the Economy, 1997- present
- Chair, Editorial Board, International Journal of Early Years Education, 1997- present
- Editor in Chief, Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 1986-1992
Research StatementMy past research has focused on developmental stages of teachers; mixed-age grouping; teacher-parent relations; teacher education; self-esteem vs. narcissism; gender differences and pedagogy; and dispositions, their development and assessment.
My current research projects include project approach implementation and issues in mixed-age grouping.
- Principal Investigator, Early Childhood Research & Practice: A Proposal to Fund a Transition & Expansion Year of the First Bilingual Peer-Reviewed, Internet-Only, Early Childhood Education Journal, Bernard van Leer Foundation, 2004-2004
- Principal Investigator, The Rearview Mirror Video Project: Engaging Young Children’s Minds: A Proposal to Prepare a Video Tape for Distribution to Early Childhood Educators, U.S. Department of Education (Foundation for Child Development), 2003-2003
- Co-Principal Investigator, Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services, Early Childhood Research Institute, U.S. Department of Education, 2002-present
- Principal Investigator, ERIC/EECE Subcontract with Collins Management Consulting, Inc, U.S. Department of Education (Collins Management Consulting, Inc.), 2001-2001
- Katz, L. G. (2001). Last class notes. Kindergarten education: Theory, research and practice, 6(1), 35-40.
- Helm, J. H., & Katz, L. G. (2001). Young investigators: The project approach in the early years. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Katz, L. G., & Chard, S. C. (2000). Engaging children's minds: The project approach. Second Edition. Norwood, NJ: Ablex Publishing Corporation.
- Katz, L. G. (1998) What can we learn from Reggio Emilia? In C. Edwards, L. Gandini, & G. Forman (Eds.), The hundred languages of children: The Reggio Emilia approach: Advanced reflections (pp. 27-45). Norwood, NJ: Ablex
- Katz, L. (1995). Talks with teachers of young children: A collection. Norwood, NJ: Ablex Publishing Corp.
- Katz, L., Evangelou, D. and Hartman, J. A. (1990) The case for mixed-age grouping in the early years. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children.
- Katz, L. & Chard, S. C. (1989) Engaging children's minds: The project approach.Norwood, NJ. Ablex Publishing Corp.
In The News
Early Childhood Research & Practice to be available in four languages, Russian translation expected to begin next year
Nov. 1, 2012
- Academic Programs
- Departments & Units
- Our Faculty
- Research & Outreach
- About Us
- Make a Gift
Lilian KatzProfessor Emeritus
Early Childhood and Parenting Collaborative - Clearinghouse on Early Childhood and Parenting
29 Children's Research Center
51 Gerty Dr.
Champaign, IL 61820
51 Gerty Dr.
Champaign, IL 61820