- About Us
- Research & Outreach
Mary-alayne Hughes' research interests include families of young children with disabilities and pre-service personnel preparation of individuals (future early interventionists and teachers) who will work with young children with disabilities and their families. Currently, she is the Principal Investigator on a federally-funded personnel preparation grant ("Preparing Culturally Responsive Early Intervention/Early Childhood Special Education Personnel").
Activities & Honors
- Editor, Associate Editor, Young Exceptional Children, 2011-present
- Committee Member, Heartland Equity & Inclusion Project State Steering Committee, 2010-present
- Other, B-3 Clearinghouse Advisory Board, 2009-present
- Other, Illinois Sharing A Vision Conference (SAV) Evaluation, 2007-present
- Committee Member, Illinois (IDEC) Sharing A Vision Conference Planning Committee, 2007-present
- Committee Chair, Illinois (IDEC) Sharing A Vision Conference, 2007-present
- Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Early Intervention, 2003-present
- Committee Member, Illinois Gateways to Opportunity Core Credential Committee, 2009-2012
- Grant Proposal Reviewer, External, U.S. Department of Education, 2010-2011
- Promotion & Tenure -- Reviewer, University of Memphis, 2010-
- Committee Member, United Way Success by 6 Social-emotional Work Group, 2006-2010
- Officer, President/Elect/Past, Illinois Division for Early Childhood, 2008-2009
- Conference proposal reviewer for personnel preparation strand., DEC's International Conference on Young Children with Special Needs, 2008-
- Conference Proposal Reviewr for 2 strands: personnel preparation and administration, CEC Division for Early Childhood (DEC) Conference, 2007-
- Officer, President/Elect/Past, Illinois Division for Early Childhood, 2006-2007
- Officer, Vice President, Illinois Division for Early Childhood, 2005-2006
- Chairperson, Birth to Six Council of Families & Agencies (Champaign County LIC, 2005-2006
- Chair, Intervention Strand Proposal Reviews, CEC Division for Early Childhood (DEC) Conference Proposal Reviews, 2005-
- Committee Chair, DEC's International Conference on Young Children with Special Needs, 2004-
Research StatementAs clinical faculty, I do not have a research appointment. However, I am interested in research in the area of personnel preparation. I am currently qualitatively analyzing playgroup practicum data to examine the developmental progression of pre-service playgroup practicum students' competence and confidence in implementing a playgroup intervention approach. In addition, for purposes of monitoring the PREP I students' service obligation, I am coordinating follow-up surveys of funded students who have graduated. In collaboration with Dr. Sungyoon Lee, I have prepared an online follow-up survey regarding the PREP I training, and I anticipate piloting the survey in Summer 2013.
- Principal Investigator, Preparing Culturally Responsive Early Intervention/Early Childhood Special Education Personnel (PCRP), U.S. Department of Education, 2014-2017
- Principal Investigator, Preparing Relationship-based Early Intervention/Early Childhood Special Education Personnel (PREP), U.S. Department of Education, 2009-2014
- Co-Principal Investigator, Developing a Community Impact Project to Enhance SPED 338: Families of Children with Special Needs, Community Based Learning Grant, 2004-2005
- Co-Principal Investigator, Preparing Relationship-Based Early Intervention Personnel (PREP), U.S. Department of Education, 2004-2010
- Senior Personnel, Relationships Project, Cross-Campus Initiative on Promoting Resiliency, 2004-2005
- Co-Principal Investigator, Enhancing Pre-Service Teachers' Resource Family Experience, The Kay Meginnis Endowment for the Enhancement of Special Education Programs, 2004-2004
- Hopkins, A., Hughes, M., , . Individualized healthcare plans for children with chronic conditions in the classroom. Young Exceptional Children.
- Marsili, A., Hughes, M. (2009). Finding Kirk's words: An infant mental health approach to preschool intervention. Young Exceptional Children, 12(2), 2-15.
- Cole, S., McCollum, J., Swinford, L., Dewar, G., Hughes, M. (2009). Moving towards relationship-based practgices in a crisis nursery setting. Early Child Development and Care, 179(7), 863-877.
- Hughes, M., Shaffer, L., Zaghlawan, H. (2008). Inclusive playgroups: Supporting the development of infants and toddlers. Young Exceptional Children Monograph Series Early Intervention for infants and Toddlers and Their Families: Practices and Outcomes. Division for Early Childhood of the Council for Exceptional Children: Missoula, MT.
In The News
Apr. 2, 2013
The College of Education is pleased to announce the faculty, staff, and students who are recipients of the College's 2013 Faculty and Staff Awards. Recipients will be recognized at the spring faculty meeting, which will be held at 2:00 p.m. on May 2 in room 22 in the Education Building. Read more...