- About Us
- Research & Outreach
Mary-alayne Hughes' research interests include families of young children with disabilities and pre-service personnel preparation of individuals (future early interventionists and teachers) who will work with young children with disabilities and their families. Currently, she is the Principal Investigator on a federally-funded personnel preparation grant ("Preparing Culturally Responsive Early Intervention/Early Childhood Special Education Personnel").
Activities & Honors
- Editor, Associate Editor, Young Exceptional Children, 2011-present
- Committee Member, Heartland Equity & Inclusion Project State Steering Committee, 2010-present
- Other, B-3 Clearinghouse Advisory Board, 2009-present
- Committee Chair, Illinois (IDEC) Sharing A Vision Conference, 2007-present
- Committee Member, Illinois (IDEC) Sharing A Vision Conference Planning Committee, 2007-present
- Other, Illinois Sharing A Vision Conference (SAV) Evaluation, 2007-present
- Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Early Intervention, 2003-present
- Committee Member, Illinois Gateways to Opportunity Core Credential Committee, 2009-2012
- Grant Proposal Reviewer, External, U.S. Department of Education, 2010-2011
- Promotion & Tenure -- Reviewer, University of Memphis, 2010-
- Committee Member, United Way Success by 6 Social-emotional Work Group, 2006-2010
- Officer, President/Elect/Past, Illinois Division for Early Childhood, 2008-2009
- Conference proposal reviewer for personnel preparation strand., DEC's International Conference on Young Children with Special Needs, 2008-
- Conference Proposal Reviewr for 2 strands: personnel preparation and administration, CEC Division for Early Childhood (DEC) Conference, 2007-
- Officer, President/Elect/Past, Illinois Division for Early Childhood, 2006-2007
- Chairperson, Birth to Six Council of Families & Agencies (Champaign County LIC, 2005-2006
- Officer, Vice President, Illinois Division for Early Childhood, 2005-2006
- Chair, Intervention Strand Proposal Reviews, CEC Division for Early Childhood (DEC) Conference Proposal Reviews, 2005-
- Committee Chair, DEC's International Conference on Young Children with Special Needs, 2004-
Research StatementAs clinical faculty, I do not have a research appointment. However, I am interested in research in the area of personnel preparation. I am currently qualitatively analyzing playgroup practicum data to examine the developmental progression of pre-service playgroup practicum students' competence and confidence in implementing a playgroup intervention approach. In addition, for purposes of monitoring the PREP I students' service obligation, I am coordinating follow-up surveys of funded students who have graduated. In collaboration with Dr. Sungyoon Lee, I have prepared an online follow-up survey regarding the PREP I training, and I anticipate piloting the survey in Summer 2013.
- Principal Investigator, Preparing Culturally Responsive Early Intervention/Early Childhood Special Education Personnel (PCRP), U.S. Department of Education, 2014-2017
- Principal Investigator, Preparing Relationship-based Early Intervention/Early Childhood Special Education Personnel (PREP), U.S. Department of Education, 2009-2014
- Co-Principal Investigator, Developing a Community Impact Project to Enhance SPED 338: Families of Children with Special Needs, Community Based Learning Grant, 2004-2005
- Co-Principal Investigator, Preparing Relationship-Based Early Intervention Personnel (PREP), U.S. Department of Education, 2004-2010
- Senior Personnel, Relationships Project, Cross-Campus Initiative on Promoting Resiliency, 2004-2005
- Co-Principal Investigator, Enhancing Pre-Service Teachers' Resource Family Experience, The Kay Meginnis Endowment for the Enhancement of Special Education Programs, 2004-2004
- Hopkins, A., Hughes, M., , . Individualized healthcare plans for children with chronic conditions in the classroom. Young Exceptional Children.
- Marsili, A., Hughes, M. (2009). Finding Kirk's words: An infant mental health approach to preschool intervention. Young Exceptional Children, 12(2), 2-15.
- Cole, S., McCollum, J., Swinford, L., Dewar, G., Hughes, M. (2009). Moving towards relationship-based practgices in a crisis nursery setting. Early Child Development and Care, 179(7), 863-877.
- Hughes, M., Shaffer, L., Zaghlawan, H. (2008). Inclusive playgroups: Supporting the development of infants and toddlers. Young Exceptional Children Monograph Series Early Intervention for infants and Toddlers and Their Families: Practices and Outcomes. Division for Early Childhood of the Council for Exceptional Children: Missoula, MT.
In The News
Dec. 31, 1969
Dec. 31, 1969
Dec. 31, 1969
Dec. 31, 1969