- Ph.D., Education Psychology, University of Minnesota, 1993
- M.S., Special Education, The Pennsylvania State University, 1987
- B.S., Special Education, The Pennsylvania State University, 1981
Key Professional Appointments
- Associate Professor, Special Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002--
- Assistant Professor, Special Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997-2002
- Assistant Professor, Education Foundation & Special Education, Clemson University, 1994-1997
- Senior Researcher, National Center on Educational Outcomes, University of Minnesota, 1990-1994
Activities & Honors
- Member, Office of the Assistant Secretary, U. S. Department of Education, 2008-
- Associate Editor, Remedial and Special Education, 2005-2011
- Member, Technical Advisory Panel, National Alternate Assessment Center, 2005-2008
- Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award for Faculty, College of Education, 2003-
- Consultant, National Center on Educational Outcomes, 1994- present
- Principal Investigator, IEP Quality Improvement: Research and Development of Web-Based Decision Support, Institute of Education Sciences, 2006-2010
- Shriner, J. G., & Thurlow, M. L. (2012). Curriculum based measurement, progress monitoring, and state assessments. In C. Espin, K. McMaster, S. Rose, & M. Wayman (Eds.), A measure of succes: The influence of curriculum-based measurement research on education (pp. 247-260). Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
- Shriner, J. G., Carty, S. J., Rose, C. A., Shogren, K. A., Kim, M. & Trach, J. (in press). Effects of using a web-based Individualized Education Program decision-making tutorial. Journal of Special Education. Pre-publication online. doi: 10.1177/0022466912453940
- Shriner, J. G., Plotner, A., & Rose, C. A. (2010). Development of Individual Education Programs for students with emotional or behavioral disorders: Coordination with transition plans. In D. Cheney (Ed.). Transition of secondary students with emotional or behavioral disorders: Current approaches for positive outcomes. (2nd ed.) (pp. 171-214), Champaign, IL: Research Press.
- Yell, M., Meadows, N. B., Drasgow. E., & Shriner, J. G. (2009). Evidence-based practices for educating students with emotional and behavioral disorders. New York: Merrill/Pearson.
- Mason, L. H., & Shriner, J. G. (2008). SRSD instruction for writing an opinion essay: Effects for six students with emotional/behavior disorders. Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 21, 73-91.
- Shriner, J., & DeStefano, L. (2007). Assessment accommodation considerations for middle school students with disabilities. In C. C. Laitusis & L. L. Cook (Eds.), Large-scale assessments and accommodations: What works? (pp.167-196). Arlington, VA: Council for Exceptional Children.
- Shriner, J. G., & Ganguly, R. (2007). Assessment and accommodation issues under the No Child Left Behind Act and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act: Information for IEP teams. Assessment for Effective Intervention, 32, 231-243.
- Yell, M. L., Shriner, J. G., & Katsiyannis, A. (2006). Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004: Implications for educators, administrators, and teacher trainers. Focus on Exceptional Children, 39(1), 1-24.
- Skrtic, T. M., Harris, K. R., & Shriner, J. G. (Eds.). (2005). Special education policy and practice: Accountability, instruction, and social challenges. Denver, CO: Love.
- Shriner, J. G., & Skrtic, T. M. (2005). Standards-based reform and the conditions of practice. In T. Skrtic, K. Harris, & J. Shriner (Eds.), Special education policy and practice: Accountability, instruction, and social challenges (pp. 19-28). Denver, CO: Love.
- Skrtic, T. M., Harris, K. R., & Shriner, J. G. (2005). The context of special education practice today. In T. Skrtic, K. Harris, & J. Shriner (Eds.), Special education policy and practice: Accountability, instruction, and social challenges (pp. 1-18). Denver, CO: Love.
- Shriner, J. G., & Wehby, J. H. (2004). Accountability and assessment for students with emotional and behavioral disorders. In R. Rutherford, M. Quinn, & S. Mathur (Eds.), Handbook of research in behavioral disorders (pp. 216-231). New York: Guilford.
- Shriner, J. G., & DeStefano, L. (2003). Participation and accommodation in large-scale assessment: An examination of Individualized Education Programs. Exceptional Children, 69, 147-161.
- Rouse, M., Shriner, J., & Danielson, L. (2000). National assessment and special education in the United States and England and Wales. In M. McLaughlin & M. Rouse(Eds.), Special education and school reform in the United States & Britain (pp. 66-97). London: Routledge.
- Shriner, J. G. (2000). Legal perspectives on school outcomes assessment for students with disabilities. Journal of Special Education, 33, 232-240.
- Shriner, J. G. (1995). Assessment of social-emotional behavior. In J. Salvia & J. E. Ysseldyke, Assessment (6th Ed.) (pp. 567-617). Boston: Houghton-Mifflin.
In The News
Apr. 2, 2013
The College of Education is pleased to announce the faculty, staff, and students who are recipients of the College's 2013 Faculty and Staff Awards. Recipients will be recognized at the spring faculty meeting, which will be held at 2:00 p.m. on May 2 in room 22 in the Education Building. Read more...
- Academic Programs
- Departments & Units
- Our Faculty
- Research & Outreach
- About Us
- Make a Gift