- About Us
- Research & Outreach
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, North China University of Technology,
- M.S., Manufacturing Engineering Technology, East Tennessee State University,
- Ph.D., Human Resource Development, The Pennsylvania State University,
Key Professional Appointments
- Associate Professor, EPOL, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2013-present
- Regional Editor, Journal of Chinese Human Resource Development, 2013-present
- Associate Editor, International Human Resource Development, 2012-present
- Chair, Cutting Edge Research Award Committee, AHRD, 2012-2014
- Assistant Professor, EPOL, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2011-2013
- Assistant Professor, Learning Technologies, University of North Texas, 2006-2011
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Education Administration and Human Resource Develo, Texas A&M University, 2003-2006
- Manager, Raytheon Company, 2002-2003
- Senior Manager, The Antioch Company, 2001-2002
- Group Manager, Nokia, 1999-2001
- Manager, Motorola, 1994-1999
Activities & Honors
- Associate Editor, Human Resource Development International, 2012-present
- Chair, Cutting Edge Research Committee, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2012-present
- Chair of SIG on China HRD, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2009-present
- Highly Commended Paper of 2013, Emerald Literati Network, 2013 Award for Excellence, 2014-2014
- Research Excellence Award, International Federation of Training and Development Organization, 2014-2014
- Outstanding Paper Award 2012, Emerald Literati Network, 2012-2012
- Cutting Edge Research Award, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2011-2011
- Learning Technology Innovation of the Year, Dallas County Community College District, 2009-2009
- Cutting Edge Research Award, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2007-2007
Research StatementMy primary of research focus can be summarized to two lines of research. One of the lines is to examine corporate learning strategies and practices in relationship to employee learning (formal or informal) and performance improvement in the workplace. The other line of research is to investigate the impact of recent economic reform on Chinese workforce and the implications for human resource development in the Chinese context. Recently, I have developed an interest in virtual worlds and their impact on learning in virtual worlds and learning transfer to real life settings.
- Principal Investigator, A Cross Generational Comparative Study: A Changing Work Ethic in China?, Campus Research Board, 2012-2013
- Principal Investigator, Optimizing Student Learning Outcomes: A Comparative Study of Onsite, Virtual and Remote Laboratories in Electrical Engineering, National Science Foundation (University of North Texas), 2011-2014
- Huang, J., Ouyang, Z., Li, J. HRD and its Development in China. The Routledge Companion to HRD. Taylor & Francis Books. .
- Li, J. Open Educational Resources (OER)’s usage and barriers: A study from Zhejiang University, China. . .
- Li, J. Design Talent Retention Strategies that Fit: Lessons from Asian Companies. The Conference Board: New York, US.
- Li, J. Utilizing institutional perspectives to investigate the emergence, rise and (relative) decline of corporate universities. Human Resource Development International. .
- Korte, R., Li, J. Organization socialization: Learning and adapting to a new job in Taiwan. Journal of Chinese Human Resource Management .
- Li, J. (2014). Increasing the influence of corporate University. Corporate University.
- Li, J. (2013). Building ethical business cultures: BRIC by BRIC. The European Business Review.
- Li, J. (2013). Web-based technology and the changing landscape of HRD. Human Resource Development International. .
- Yeo, R., Li, J. (2013). In pursuit of learning: sensemaking the quality of work life. European Journal of Training and Development, 37(2), 136-160.
- Huang, W., Li, J., Lin, M. (2013). Game-based virtual-world environments to better engage lifelong learners for open courseware and open learning. Handbook of Research on Technologies for Improving the 21st Century Workforce: Tool for Lifelong Learning . IGI Global: Hershey, PA.
- Liu, A., Li, J. (2012). Exploring the corporate university phenomenon: The development and implementation of a comprehensive survey. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 23(1), 103-126.
- Li, J., D’Souza, D., Du, Y. (2011). Exploring the contribution of virtual worlds to organizational learning. Human Resource Development Review, 10(3), 264-285.
- Li, J., Madsen, J. (2011). Business ethics and workplace guanxi in Chinese SOEs: A qualitative study. Journal of Chinese Human Resource Management, 2(2).
- Li, J., Madsen, J. (2010). Examining Chinese managers’ work related values and attitudes. Chinese Management Studies, 4(1), 57-76.
- Li, J., Brake, G., Champion, A., Fuller, T., Gabel, S., Hatcher-Busch, L. (2009). Knowledge accessibility and workplace learning. Journal of Workplace Learning, 21(4), 347-364.
- Li, J., Nimon, K. (2008). The Importance of recognizing generational differences in HRD policy and practices: A study of workers in Qinhuangdao, China. Human Resource Development International, 11(2), 167-182.