- Ph.D., Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, 1978
- M.A., Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, 1975
- B.A., Psychology, Queen's College of the City University of New York, 1974
Key Professional Appointments
- Professor, Department of Educational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1998--
- Associate Professor, Department of Educational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1986-1998
- Assistant Professor, Department of Educational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1979-1986
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Québec Ministry of Education, Université de Montréal, Faculté des sciences de l'éducation, Section de mesure et évaluation, 1978-1979
Activities & Honors
- Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission, City of Urbana, 2006- present
- Research/Teaching Award for Chile, Feb.-June 2008, Fulbright Program, 2006-2008
Research StatementMy past research has focused on first and second language acquisition, language assessment, bilingual education, research methods, and the application of evolutionary theory and perceptual control theory to understanding human behavior, learning and education.
I am currently focusing my research activities on what I call Autonomous Technology-Assisted Language Learning (ATALL). ATALL involves using and developing technology, in particular Internet media and communication tools, to enhance education in foreign-languages and cultures.
- Co-Principal Investigator, Collaborative Research: Translating Prosody in an English-Chinese Language Tutoring Systems, National Science Foundation, 2006-2007
- Principal Investigator, Proposal to Establish a Low-Power Campus Radio Station at UIUC for Spanish-Language and Latino Programming , Office of the Chancellor, 2004-2005
- Principal Investigator, Electronic Network for Language and Culture Exchange (ENLACE), National Center for Supercomputing Applications, 2003-2004
- Cziko, G. (in press). Without miracles: Universal selection theory and the second Darwinian revolution. (Chinese ed.). Shanghai: East China Normal University.
- Cziko, G. A. (2004). Electronic tandem language learning (eTandem): A third approach to second language learning for the 21st century. Computer-Assisted Language Instruction Consortium Journal, 22(1), 25-39.
- Cziko, G., & Park, S. (2003). Internet audio communication for second language learning: A comparative review of six programs. Language Learning and Technology, 7(1), 15-27.
- Cziko, G. (1995). Without miracles: Universal selection theory and the second Darwinian revolution. Cambridge: MIT Press (A Bradford Book).
- Cziko, G.A. (1992a). The evaluation of bilingual education: From necessity and probability to possibility. Educational Researcher, 21(3), 10-15.
- Cziko, G. A. (1992b). Purposeful behavior as the control of perception: Implications for educational research. Educational Researcher, 21(9), 10-18, 27.
- Academic Programs
- Departments & Units
- Our Faculty
- Research & Outreach
- About Us
- Make a Gift