- Ph.D., Education, University of California-Los Angeles, 1999
- M.A., Education, University of California- Riverside, 1992
- B.A., Biology, University of California- Riverside, 1984
Key Professional Appointments
- Assistant Professor, Curriculum and Instruction, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002--
- Assistant Professor, Division of Learning and Instruction, University of Southern California, 1999-2002
- Graduate Student Researcher, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, School of Medicine, University of California-Los Angeles, 1998-1999
- Graduate Student Researcher, National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing (CRESST), University of California-Los Angeles, 1996-1997
- Fellow, Research Assistant, , Harvard University, 1996-1996
- Fellow, , Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation, 1992-1995
Activities & Honors
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2009-
- Favorite College Professor, The Phi Delta Psi Chapter of the Mortar Ba, Mortar Board National Senior Honor Society, 2003-2004
- Chair, Division B (Curriculum Studies), Section 1 (Curriculum in Classrooms) for the Annual Meeting, American Educational Research Association, 2001-2002
Research StatementMichele Crockett’s research includes issues of education policy, school reform, and institutional contexts, especially as these issues relate to teachers’ professional learning for improving mathematics instruction and achievement at underperforming schools. Presently, she seeks to understand how discourse-based formative assessment practices in teachers’ mathematics instruction can directly improve students’ deep mathematical understandings and the implications for refocusing school-based professional development efforts.
- Principal Investigator, Teacher Inquiry as Professional Development: Improving Algebra Teaching and Learning in Urban Middle Schools, The Spencer Foundation (National Academy of Education), 2002-2003
- Principal Investigator, Linking Policy and Practice: Using Student Work as a Mechanism for Improving Mathematics Instruction, John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation , 2000-2001
- Chen, C-H., Crockett, M.D., Namikawa, T., Zilimu, J. & Lee, S.H. Eighth grade mathematics teachers' discourse-based formative assessment practice in SES-different classrooms: A Taiwan study. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education
- Crockett, M. D., Chen, C-H., Namikawa, T., & Zilimu, J. (2009). Exploring discourse-based assessment practice and its role in mathematics professional development. Professional Development in Education, 35(4), 677-680.
- Crockett, M. D., & Buckley, L. A. (2009). The role of coflection in equity-centered mathematics professional development practices. Equity & Excellence in Education, 42(2), 169-182.
- Crockett, M. D. (2008). Mathematics and teaching. New York: Routledge.
- Crockett, M. D. (2007). Teacher professional development as a critical resource in school reform. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 39(3), 253-263.
- Crockett, M. D. (2007). The relationship between teaching and learning: Examining Japanese and U.S. professional development. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 39(5), 609-621.
- Lubienski, S. T., & Crockett, M. D. (2007). NAEP findings regarding race and ethnicity: Mathematics achievement, student affect, and school-home experiences. In P. Kloosterman & F. Lester (Eds.), Results and interpretations of the 2003 Mathematics Assessment of the National Assessment of Educational Progress (pp. 227-260). Reston, VA: NCTM.
- Crockett, M. D. (2002). Inquiry as professional development: Creating dilemmas through teachers' work. Teaching and Teacher Education, 18, 609-624.
- Page, R., Samson, Y., & Crockett, M. (2000). Reporting ethnography to informants. In B. Brizuela, J. Stewart, R. Carrillo, & J. Berger (Eds.) Acts of Inquiry in Qualitative Research (pp. 321-351). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Saxe, G.B., Gearhart, M., Franke, M.L., Howard, S. & Crockett, M. (1999). Teachers' shifting assessment practices in the context of educational reform in mathematics. Teaching and Teacher Education, 15(2), 85-105.
- Page, R., Samson, Y., & Crockett, M. (1998). Reporting ethnography to informants. Harvard Educational Review, 68(3), 299-333.
- Academic Programs
- Departments & Units
- Our Faculty
- Research & Outreach
- About Us
- Make a Gift