- Ph.D., Mathematics, University of North Carolina, 1963
- M.A., Mathematics, University of North Carolina, 1960
- B.S., Mathematics, University of North Carolina, 1958
Key Professional Appointments
- Associate Professor, Curriculum and Instruction, University of Illinois, 1996--
- Associate Professor, Educational Psychology, University of Illinois, 1977-1979
- Associate Professor, Mathematics, University of Illinois, 1976-1977
- Assistant Professor, Mathematics, University of Illinois, 1963-1967
Activities & Honors
- Referee, Qualitative Inquiry, 2006- present
- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Qualitative Research in Psychology, 2005- present
- External Examimer for Ph. D. Dissertations in Education, Andhra University is the state university of the state of Andhra Pradesh in India, Andhra University, 2004- present
- organize and chair panels at QI2004, QI2005, QI2006, QI2007, Institute of Communications Research , 2004- present
- Reviewer for Visual Arts Research (VAR), VAR is a peer refereed Journal put out in the School of Fine and Applied Arts, Visual Arts Research , 2003- present
- Presentations on Essentialist Portraiture, Sunchon National University, 2003-2005
- Outside Examiner for dissertataions in mathematics education, Nagarjuna University, 2001-2005
- Member of Governing Council, World Association of Vedic Studies, 2000-2002
- Chair of Standing Comittee on Interreligious Dialogue , World Association of Vedic Studies, 2000-2002
- Outside examiner for dissertations in Philosophy and Religious Studies, Andhra University, 1996-2000
Research StatementMy past research has involved qualitative research (audio and video) in cognition and self and research in philosophy of education and science, and a book on the Upanishads.
In the last 13 years or so I have been developing a "participant as ally and essentialist portraiture" interview methodology, and writing on "self" and spirituality, and their role in becoming a teacher or mathematician or physicist. Instead of continuing to write in the area of perennial philosophy, I have also been working on a book on Divinity and Reality from the point of view of subjective experience and living a moral-spiritual life.
- Fellow, Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, Andhra University, 1996-present
- Witz, K. (in press). Fulfillment in mathematics: Perspectives and case studies. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen.
- Witz, K. (2006). The participant as ally and essentialist portraiture. Qualitative Inquiry, 12(2), 246-268.
- Witz, K. and Lee, H. Science as an ideal. In Press. Journal of Curriculum Studies
- "Awakening to" an aspect in the other: On developing insights and concepts in qualitative research. In Press, Qualitative Inquiry. (Has already been published: Qualitative Inquiry, v. 13 (2) (March 2007), pp. 235-259.
- Witz, K., & MacGregor, N. (2003). Morality, spirituality and science in the elemenetary classroom. In D. Zeidler (Ed.), The role of moral reasoning on socio-economic issues and discourse on science education (pp. 165-182). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic.
- Witz, K., Goodwin, D., Hart, R. S., & Thomas, S. (2001). An essential methodology in education-related research using in-depth interviews. Journal of Curriculum Studies 33(2), 195-227.
- Witz, K. (2001). The "veiled image" and "constantly amplifying the feeling" in Billy Jackson's Station. Visual Arts Research 27 (2), 1-15
- Witz, K. (2000). The academic problem. Journal of Curriculum Studies 32(l), 13-21
- Witz, K. (2000). Translation of Wagenschein, M. The law of free fall as an exemplary theme for the mathematicizability of certain natural processes. In I. Westbury, S. Hopmann & K. Riquarts (Eds.), The German Didaktik tradition: Teaching as reflective practice (pp. 285-293). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Witz, K. (1998). The Supreme Wisdom of the Upanishads: An Introduction. Delhi, India: Motilal Banarasidass
- Witz, K., Science with values and values for science education, Journal of Curriculum Studies, 1996, v. 28, No. 5, 597-612
- Academic Programs
- Departments & Units
- Our Faculty
- Research & Outreach
- About Us
- Make a Gift