- About Us
- Research & Outreach
- Ph.D., Mathematics, University of North Carolina, 1963
- M.A., Mathematics, University of North Carolina, 1960
- B.S., Mathematics, University of North Carolina, 1958
Key Professional Appointments
- Associate Professor, Curriculum and Instruction, University of Illinois, 1996--
- Associate Professor, Educational Psychology, University of Illinois, 1977-1979
- Associate Professor, Mathematics, University of Illinois, 1976-1977
- Assistant Professor, Mathematics, University of Illinois, 1963-1967
Activities & Honors
- Referee, Qualitative Inquiry, 2006- present
- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Qualitative Research in Psychology, 2005- present
- External Examimer for Ph. D. Dissertations in Education, Andhra University is the state university of the state of Andhra Pradesh in India, Andhra University, 2004- present
- organize and chair panels at QI2004, QI2005, QI2006, QI2007, Institute of Communications Research, 2004- present
- Reviewer for Visual Arts Research (VAR), VAR is a peer refereed Journal put out in the School of Fine and Applied Arts, Visual Arts Research, 2003- present
- Presentations on Essentialist Portraiture, Sunchon National University, 2003-2005
- Outside Examiner for dissertataions in mathematics education, Nagarjuna University, 2001-2005
- Chair of Standing Comittee on Interreligious Dialogue, World Association of Vedic Studies, 2000-2002
- Member of Governing Council, World Association of Vedic Studies, 2000-2002
- Outside examiner for dissertations in Philosophy and Religious Studies, Andhra University, 1996-2000
Research StatementMy past research has involved qualitative research (audio and video) in cognition and self and research in philosophy of education and science, and a book on the Upanishads.
In the last 13 years or so I have been developing a "participant as ally and essentialist portraiture" interview methodology, and writing on "self" and spirituality, and their role in becoming a teacher or mathematician or physicist. Instead of continuing to write in the area of perennial philosophy, I have also been working on a book on Divinity and Reality from the point of view of subjective experience and living a moral-spiritual life.
- Fellow, Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, Andhra University, 1996-present
- Witz, Klaus (2006). The participant as ally and essentialist portraiture. Qualitative Inquiry, 12(2), 246-268.
- Witz, Klaus, MacGregor, N. (2003). Morality, spirituality and science in the elemenetary classroom. The role of moral reasoning on socio-economic issues and discourse on science education. Kluwer Academic: Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Witz, Klaus (2001). The "veiled image" and "constantly amplifying the feeling" in Billy Jackson's Station. Visual Arts Research, 27(2), 1-15.
- Witz, Klaus, Goodwin, D., Hart, R., Thomas, S. (2001). An essential methodology in education-related research using in-depth interviews. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 33(2), 195-227.
- Witz, Klaus (2000). The academic problem. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 32(l), 13-21.
- Witz, Klaus (2000). Translation of Wagenschein, M. The law of free fall as an exemplary theme for the mathematicizability of certain natural processes. The German Didaktik tradition: Teaching as reflective practice. Erlbaum: Hillsdale, NJ.
- Witz, Klaus (1998). The Supreme Wisdom of the Upanishads: An Introduction. Delhi,. Motilal Banarasidass: India.
- Witz, Klaus (1996). Science with values and values for science education. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 28(5), 597-612.