- Ed.D., Educational Psychology, Harvard University, 1960
- A.M.T., Social Science Education, Harvard University, 1957
- A.B.,cum laude, American History, Harvard University, 1956
Key Professional Appointments
- NTNU Chair Professor, Educational Psychology, National Taiwan Normal University, 2012--
- Professor Emeritus, Department of Educational Psychology, University of Illinois, 2010--
- Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1967-2010
- Professor, Department of Educational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1963-2010
- Professor, School of Psychology, Beijing Normal University, 2003-----
- President, , China Children's Books, 2002-----
- Director, Center for the Study of Reading, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1976-----
Activities & Honors
- Boyd Lubker Visiting Scholar, Western Kentucky University, 2013-
- Richard C. Anderson Legacy Lecture and Celebration, College of Education, 2012-
- Lifetime Achievement Award, College of Education, 2012-
- Gallery of Scientists, Recognizes eminent senior scientists who have made important and lasting contributions to the sciences of mind, brain, and behavior, Federation of Associations in Brain and Behavioral Sciences - Foundation, 2011- present
- Distinguished Scholar Lecture, 100th Anniversary Lecture Series, Tsinghua University, 2010-
- Conference on Reading Chinese and Related Asian Languages, in honor of Richard C Anderson's distinguished research career, Ontario Institute for the Study of Education, 2010-
- Fellow, Society for Text and Discourse, 2009- present
- Fellow, American Educational Research Association, 2009- present
- Sylvia Scribner Award, American Educational Research Association, 2006-
- Distinguished Career Teaching Award, College of Education, 2002-
- Outstanding Mentor Award, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001-
- Edward L. Thorndike Award, American Psychological Association, 1997-
- Distinguished Contributions to Educational Research Award, American Educational Research Association, 1994-
- William S.Gray Citation of Merit, International Reading Association, 1992-
- University Scholar, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1988-
- Oscar Causey Award, National Reading Conference, 1987-
- President, American Educational Research Association, 1984-
- Fellow, National Academy of Education, 1979- present
Research StatementI currently have two active programs of research. The first is comparative analysis of learning to read alphabetic and nonalphabetic languages, especially English and Chinese. The second examines children's intellectual and social development in the context of free-flowing open-format discussions.
- Principal Investigator, Mindful Instruction of Nonmainstream Children, Institute of Education Sciences, 2008-2014
- Principal Investigator, Improving Comprehension and Writing through Reasoned Argumentation, U.S. Department of Education, 2004-2008
- Anderson, R. C., Ku, Y. -M., Li, W., Chen, X., Wu, X., & Shu, H. (2013). Learning to see the patterns in Chinese characters. Scientific Studies of Reading, 17, 41-56.
- Zhang, J., Anderson, R.C., & Nguyen-Jahiel, K. (2013). Language-rich discussions for English language learners. International Journal of Educational Research, 58, 44-60.
- Lin, T.-J., Anderson, R. C., Hummel, J. E., Jadallah, M., Miller, B. W., Nguyen-Jahiel, Morris, J., Kuo, L.-J., Kim, I.-H., Wu., X., & Dong, T. (2012). Children's use of analogy during collaborative reasoning. Child Development, 83, 1429-1443.
- Wu, X., Anderson, R. C., Nguyen-Jahiel, K., & Miller, B. (in press). Enhancing motivation and engagement through collaborative discussion. Journal of Educational Psychology
- Zhang, J., Anderson, R. C., Wang, Q., Packard, J., Wu, X., Tang, S., & Ke, X. (2012). Insight into the structure of compound words among speakers of Chinese and English. Applied Psycholinguistics, 33, 753-779.
- Kuo, L.- J. & Anderson, R. C. (2012). Effects of early bilingualism on learning phonological regularities in a new language. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 111, 455-467.
- Lin, T.-J., Anderson, R. C., Ku, Y.-M., Christiansen, K., & Packard, J. (2011). Chinese children's concept of word. Writing Systems Research, 3, 41–57.
- Kim, I.-H., Anderson, R. C., Miller, B., Jeong, J., & Swim, T. (2011). Influence of cultural norms and collaborative discussions on children's reflective essays, Discourse Processes, 48, 501-528.
- Jadallah,M., Anderson, R.C., Nguyen-Jahiel, K., Miller, M., Kim, I.-H., Kuo, L.-J., Wu, X., & Dong, T. (2011). Influence of a teacher's scaffolding moves during child-led small-group discussions. American Educational Research Journal, 48, 194-230. doi:10.3102/0002831210371498
- Dong, T., Anderson, R. C., Lin, T.-J., & Wu, X. (2010). Concurrent student-managed discussions in a large class. International Journal of Educational Research, 48, 352-367. doi:10.1016/j.ijer.2010.03.005
- Kuo, L.-J., & Anderson (2010). Beyond cross-language transfer: Reconceptualizing the impact of early bilingualism on phonological competence. Scientific Studies of Reading, 14, 365-385.
- Zhang, J., Anderson, R. C., Li, H., Dong, Q., Zhang, Y., & Wu, X. (2010). Cross-language transfer of insight into the structure of compound words. Reading and Writing, 23, 311-336.
- Wu, X., Anderson, R. C., Li, W., Wu, X., Li, H., Zhang, J., et al. (2009). Morphological awareness and Chinese children’s literacy development: An intervention study. Scientific Studies of Reading, 13, 26-52.
- Jadallah, M., Miller, B., Anderson, R. C., Nguyen-Jahiel, K., Archodidou, A., Zhang, J., et al. (2009). Collaborative reasoning about a science and public policy issue. In M. McKeown & L. Kucan (Eds.), Bringing reading research to life: Essays in honor of Isabel Beck (pp. 170-193). New York: Guilford Publications.
- Dong, T., Anderson, R. C., Kim, I., & Li, Y. (2008). Collaborative Reasoning in China and Korea. Reading Research Quarterly, 43, 400-424.
- Kim, I., Anderson, R. C., Nguyen-Jahiel, K., & Archodidou, A. (2007). Discourse patterns during children’s collaborative online discussions. The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 16, 333-370.
- Yin, L., Anderson, R. C., & Zhu, J. (2007). Stages in Chinese children's reading of English words. Journal of Educational Psychology, 99, 852-866.
- Li, Y., Anderson, R. C., Nguyen-Jahiel, K., Dong, T., Archodidou, A., Kim, I., & et al. (2007). Emergent leadership in children’s discussion groups. Cognition and Instruction, 25(1), 75-111.
- He, Y., Wang, Q., & Anderson, R. C. (2005). Chinese children's use of subcharacter information about pronunciation. Journal of Educational Psychology, 97, 572-579.
- Anderson, R. C., & Li, W. (2006). A cross-language perspective on learning to read. In A. McKeough, J. L. Lupart, L. Phillips, & V. Timmons (Eds.), Understanding literacy development: A global view (pp. 65-91). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Chen, X., Anderson, R. C., Li, W., Hao, M., Wu, X., & Shu, H. (2004). Phonological awareness of bilingual and monolingual Chinese children. Journal of Educational Psychology, 96, 142-151.
- Clark, A. M., Anderson, R. C., Archodidou, A., Nguyen-Jahiel, K., Kuo, L.-J., & Kim, I. (2003). Collaborative reasoning: Expanding ways for children to talk and think in the classroom. Educational Psychology Review, 15, 181-198.
- Anderson, R. C., Li, W., Ku, Y.-M., Shu, H., & Wu, N.-N. (2003). Use of partial information in learning to read Chinese characters. Journal of Educational Psychology, 95, 52-57.
- Ku, Y.-M., & Anderson, R. C. (2003). Development of morphological awareness in Chinese and English. Reading and Writing: An Interdiscipinary Journal, 16, 399-422.
- Shu, H., Chen, X., Anderson, R. C., Wu, N.-N., & Xuan, Y. (2003). Properties of school Chinese: Implications for learning to read. Child Development, 74, 27-47.
- Anderson, R. C., Gaffney, J. S., Wu, X., Wang, C.-C., Li, W., Shu, H., Nagy, W. E., & Ming, X. (2002). Shared book reading in China. In W. Li, J. Gaffney, & J. Packard (Eds.), Chinese children's reading acquisition: Theoretical and pedagogical issues (pp. 131-155). Norwell, MA: Kluwer Academic.
- Reznitskays, A., & Anderson, R. C. (2002). The argument schema and learning to reason. In. M. Pressley & C. Block (Eds.), Comprehension instruction: Research-based best practices (pp. 319-334). New York: Guilford Publications.
- Anderson, R. C., Nguyen-Jahiel, K., McNurlen, B., Archodidou, A., Kim, S.-Y., Reznitskaya, A., Tillmanns, M., & Gilbert, L. (2001). The snowball phenomenon: Spread of ways of talking and ways of thinking across groups of children. Cognition and Instruction, 19, 1-46.
- Academic Programs
- Departments & Units
- Our Faculty
- Research & Outreach
- About Us
- Make a Gift