Congratulations to College faculty members, staff, researchers, and students on their honors during 2013-2014!
by The College of Education
May 21, 2014
Professional Awards and Recognition for Faculty Members
- Fouad Abd El Khalick and the EnList team received the Entrepreneurial Excellence: Social Venture Award at Champaign County’s 2014 Innovation Celebration ceremony.
- Debra Bragg received the Arthur M. Cohen and Florence B. Brawer Distinguished Service Award from the Council for the Study of Community Colleges.
- Debra Bragg and Dorothy Espelage were recognized by the campus as Edward William Gutgsell & Jane Marr Gutgsell Endowed Professors.
- Ruth Nicole Brown was named an Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities 2014-15 Faculty Fellow.
- Ruth Nicole Brown received the prestigious Helen Corley Petit Scholar Award from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Dorothy Espelage and her research team won the American Educational Research Association Division E Distinguished Research Award for the article “Sexual Risk Taking and Bullying Among Adolescents.”
- Dorothy Espelage received the APA Prevention Section’s Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Walter Feinberg received the John Dewey Lifetime Achievement Award from the John Dewey Society.
- Ron Jacobs was inducted into the International Adult and Continuing Education Hall of Fame.
- Cris Mayo received the Body of Work Award from Queer Studies Special Interest Group.
- Rachel Moyer and Anjalé Welton received the 2014 AERA Leadership for Social Justice Special Interest Group Bridge People Award. (Several University of Illinois students and Urbana High School students joined Professors Moyer and Welton as recipients of this award.)
- Susan E. Noffke posthumously received the Legacy Award from the AERA Division K, Teaching and Teacher Education at the 2014 AERA conference.
- Yoon Pak received the Outstanding Asian American Faculty/Staff Award at the Asian American Leadership Awards ceremony.
- Anjalé Welton was named an ACT Foundation ‘ACE’ researcher
- Eurydice Bauer and Susan Fowler received Outstanding Faculty Awards for Service from the College of Education.
- Liora Bresler was honored as a College of Education Distinguished Senior Scholar.
- Mark Dressman received the Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award from the College of Education.
- Cheryl Light Shriner received the Spitze-Mather Faculty Award for Excellence from the College of Education.
- Emma Mercier and Anjalé Welton were honored as Hardie Faculty Fellows for 2014-2015.
- Daniel Walsh received the Distinguished Teaching Career Award from the College of Education.
Researchers from the Office of Community College Research and Leadership
- Robin LaSota received the Barbara K. Townsend Dissertation of the Year Award from the National Institute for the Study of Transfer Students.
- Jason Taylor received the Dissertation of the Year Award from the Council for the Study of Community Colleges.
College of Education Awards to Staff Members
- Kelly Fessler, Julie Kellogg, Kathy McCormick, Stephanie Pickett, Suzanne Stimson, and Jill Waller of the Human Resources team received the Dean’s Prize for Breakthrough Initiatives.
- Evelyn Grady and Myranda Lyons received the Distinguished Staff Awards.
- Jaya Shoffner received the Academic Professional Excellence Award.
Students in the College of Education
- Lindsay Anne Insana, Shana Riddick, and Cecelia “CC” Suarez received the Outstanding Teaching Awards for Teaching Assistants from the College of Education.
- Timothy Brewer, Tiffany Harris, and Lori West received 2014 AERA Mentoring Awards.
- Stephanie Cheng, a senior in elementary education, was a recipient of the 2013-2014 Fred S. Baley Scholarship bestowed by the University YMCA.
- Catherine P. Corr was named a recipient of a Doris Duke Fellowship for the Promotion of Child Well-Being.
- Catherine P. Corr and Natalie Danner received the 2013-14 Campus Award for Excellence in Public Engagement.
- Kristen Lawrence received the 2013 Kathleen W. McCartan Award, bestowed by the Diversity for Early Childhood.
- Gabriel “Joey” Merrin was selected to join the AERA Council in 2015-16.
- Amanda Rowland received the Lincoln Academy Student Laureate Award.
View the College of Education Awards nomination page.