by the College of Education at Illinois / Sep 6, 2016
The College of Education at Illinois is seeking student volunteers for the Oct. 22 Community Day Celebration, which caps off the 2016 Youth Literature Festival. The festival, which brings together local and national authors, illustrators, poets, and storytellers, is sponsored by the College of Education, the University Library and numerous local supporters.
The Community Day Celebration, which is free and open to the public, is a family-oriented event that will take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and includes author readings, book signings, puppet shows, live music, art displays and a variety of hands-on activities. Admission and parking are free.
Student volunteers are needed on Community Day to check in visitors and hand out info, serve as moderators for panel discussions, and monitor rooms prior to author presentations. Other volunteer opportunities include:
- Keeping track of the number of people who attend the day's events
- Monitoring author signing areas, book sales areas, and a lost and found area
- Helping attendees with room directions
- Assisting with the setting up and taking down of rooms for special activities
- Helping with author/illustrator errands and general crowd control
Volunteers can sign up for shifts of 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and noon to 3 p.m. For more information, contact Karla Moller at email@example.com.