- About Us
- Research & Outreach
- Ph.D., Philosophy of Education, Stanford University, 1983
- M.A., Philosophy, Stanford University, 1979
- B.A., Philosophy, Religious Studies, Grinnell College, 1975
Key Professional Appointments
- Professor, Department of Educational Policy Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1994--
- Affiliate, Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1994--
- Associate Professor, Department of Educational Policy Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1989-1994
- Assistant, Associate Professor, Department of Educational Studies, University of Utah, 1983-1989
Activities & Honors
- Fellow, Fellow of the International Academy of Education, 2010-
- Editor, Journal of Educational Theory, 1991- present
- Gutgsell Professor, Office of the Provost, 2009-2014
- Grayce Wicall Gauthier Professor, College of Education, 2002-2007
- Recipient, Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Philosophy of Education, James and Helen Merritt Foundation, 2004-2004
- Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002-2002
- Distinguished Senior Scholar, College of Education, 2001-2002
- Faculty Exchange Award, University of Leuven, 2001-2001
- President, Philosophy of Education Society, 2001-
Research StatementMy research focuses on philosophy of education; teaching and dialogue; critical social and political theory; and technology and education.
My major current projects include work on ethical and policy issues concerning new technologies in education; virtual reality; collaboration; and dialogue and "third spaces."
- Co-Principal Investigator, Interagency Education Research Initiative: Planning Grant for National Data Collection Center, National Science Foundation, 2000-2001
- Principal Investigator, Can Knowledge be Distributed? The Dynamics of Knowledge in Interdisciplinary Alliances, National Science Foundation (National Center for Supercomputing Applications), 1999-2003
- Burbules, Nicholas, Lambeir, B. (2003). The importance of new technologies in promoting collaborative educational research. Beyond empiricism: On criteria for educational research,. University Press: Leuven, Belgium.
- Burbules, Nicholas (2003). Educational research as a social discourse. Beyond empiricism: On criteria for educational research. University Press: Leuven, Belgium.
- Burbules, Nicholas, Callister, T., Jr, (2000). Watch IT: The promises and risks of new information technologies for education. Westview Press: Boulder, CO.
- Burbules, Nicholas (2000). Does the Internet constitute a global educational community? Globalization and education: Critical perspectives. Routledge: New York.
- Burbules, Nicholas, Callister, T., Jr, (2000). Universities in transition: The promise and the challenge of new technologies. Teachers College Record, 102(2), 273-295.
- Burbules, Nicholas (2000). Philosophy of education. Routledge international companion to education. Routledge: New York.
- Burbules, Nicholas (1993). Dialogue in teaching: Theory and practice. New York: Teachers College Press. Selected for the American Educational Studies Association "Critics' Choice" Award, 1993. Selected for an invited book signing by the Conference on Intergroup Dialogue. University of Michigan.