- Ph.D., History, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, 1987
- B.A., History, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, 1979
Key Professional Appointments
- Research Professor, Educational Policy Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2006--
- Adjunct Professor, Globalism Institute, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, 2006--
- Director, , Common Ground Publishing, Victoria, Australia, 2001--
- Research Associate, Globalism Institute, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, 2001-2005
- First Assistant Secretary, Dept. of the Prime Minister & Cabinet, Government of Australia, 1995-1996
- Director, Office of Multicultural Affairs, Government of Australia, 1995-1996
- Director, Bureau of Immigration, Multiculral and Population Research, Dept of Immigration & Multicultural Affairs, Government of Australia, 1995-1996
- Director, Centre for Workplace Communication and Culture, University of Technology Sydney & James Cook University of North Queensland, 1993-1995
Activities & Honors
- Invited Lecture, University of British Columbia, 2011-
- Co-ordinator and speaker, American Educational Research Association, 2011-
- Chair, Journal Publications Committee, American Educational Research Association, 2010-2013
- Plenary Session Chair, UCLA, Unknown, 2004-
- Plenary Session Chair, Havana, Cuba, Unknown, 2004-
- Keynote Speaker, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia, Unknown, 2003-
- Session Chair, Institute of Education, University of London, Unknown, 2003-
Research StatementMy current research interests include population and community diversity, theories and practices of pedagogy and new technologies of representation and communication, including the 'semantic web'.
- Kalantzis, Mary and Bill Cope, ‘Multiliteracies in Education’, in The Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics, Carol A. Chapelle, Blackwell, Oxford, 2013.
- Wilson, David, Bill Cope, and Michael A. Peters, ‘The Parable of the Physicist and the Postmodernists’, Policy Futures in Education, Vol, 10 No, 2, 2012, pp.229-233.
- Kalantzis, M. and Cope, B. (2012) New Learning: A Charter for Change in Education, Critical Studies in Education. Vol.53, No.1, pp.1–12.
- Kalantzis, M. and Cope, B. The Work of Writing in the Age of Its Digital Reproducibility. In Sandra Schamroth Abrams and Jennifer Rowsell (Eds.), Rethinking Identity and Literacy Education in the 21st Century. National Society for the Study of Education Yearbook. Vol.110, No.1, New York: Teachers College Press. pp.40-88.
- Kalantzis, M. and Cope, B. (2012). Literacies. Cambridge UK, Cambridge University Press. 455pp.
- Cope, B. (2011). Method for the Creation, Location and Formatting of Digital Content. US Patent No.7,886,225 B2.
- Cope, B., Kalantzis, M., McCarthey, S., Vojak, C. and Kline, S. Technology-Mediated Writing Assessments: Paradigms and Principles. Computers and Composition, Vol.28, No.2, pp.79-96
- Vojak, C., Kline, S., Cope, B., McCarthey, S. and Kalantzis, M. New Spaces and Old Places: An Analysis of Writing Assessment Software. Computers and Composition. Vol.28, No.2, pp.97-111.
- Cope, B. and Kalantzis, M. “Design” in Principle and Practice: A Reconsideration of the Terms of Design Engagement. The Design Journal. Vol.14, No.1, 2011, pp.45-63.
- Kalantzis, M., & Cope, B. (2008). New learning: Elements of a science of education. Cambridge University Press, NY.
- Cope, B., & Kalantzis, M. (2008). The social web: Changing knowledge systems in higher education. In D. Epstein, R. Boden, R. Deem, F. Rizvi, & S. Wright (Eds.), Geographies of knowledge, geometries of power: Framing the future of higher education. World Yearbook of Education (pp. 371-384). London: Routledge.
- Kalantzis, M., & Cope, B. (2008). Language education and multiliteracies. In S. May & N. H. Hornberger (Eds.), Encyclopedia of language and education: Vol. 1. (pp. 195-211). New York: Springer.
- Kalantzis, Mary and Bill Cope, ‘From Literacy to Multiliteracies: Learning to Mean in the New Communications Environment’, English Studies (South Africa).
- Cope, B., & Kalantzis, M. (2007). New media, new learning. International Journal of Learning, 14(1), 75-79.
- Cope, B., & Phillips, A. (Eds.). (2006). The future of the book in the digital age. Oxford: Chandos Publishing.
- Kalantzis, M., & Cope, B. (2006). Multicultural education and cultural diversity. Early Childhood Education: An International Encyclopedia, 4, 874-879.
- Kalantzis, M., & Cope, B. (2006). A question of truth: The role of the 'critical' in pedagogy. Journal of Educational Change, 7(3), 209-214.
- Kalantzis, M., & Cope, B. (2006). On globalisation and diversity. Computers and Composition, 23(4), 402-411.
- Cope, B. & Kalantzis, M. (Eds.). (2000). Multiliteracies: Literacy learning and the design of social futures. London: Routledge.
- Cope, B. & Kalantzis, M. (2000). A place in the sun: Recreating the Australian way of life. Sydney, Australia: Harper Collins.
- Cope, B. & Kalantzis, M. (1996). Productive diversity: A new Australian approach to work and management. Sydney, Australia: Pluto Press.
- Cope, B. & Kalantzis, M. (Eds.). (1993). The powers of literacy: A genre approach to teaching writing. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press.
- Academic Programs
- Departments & Units
- Our Faculty
- Research & Outreach
- About Us
- Make a Gift