Campus Honors Program
The Campus Honors Program (CHP) offers special challenges and opportunities to a small number of academically talented and highly motivated undergraduate students. For more information about the Campus Honors program, refer to honors.illinois.edu.
Continuous academic achievement is recognized by inscribing the student's name on a Bronze Tablet that hangs on a wall in the Main Library. To qualify for Bronze Tablet, the candidate must rank in the upper three percent of the College graduating class on the basis of Overall grade point average. Bronze Tablet candidates are specially honored at both the College of Education and University Commencement ceremonies in May.
Students are accorded Dean's List recognition at the conclusion of each semester based on the following criteria:
- Completion of at least fourteen academic semester hours taken in which traditional letter grades are earned. This excludes courses graded credit/no credit, satisfactory/unsatisfactory, and test-based credit that is graded pass/fail.
- Grade point average which places the student in the top 20% of the College class.
No consideration is given for the Dean's List until final grades are in for courses designated I, NR, or DFR. Students who are named on the Dean's List are notified by mail and will receive a certificate.
The James Scholar Program is a University-wide program established to encourage undergraduate research and independent study. In the College of Education, the James Scholar Program provides a rewarding educational experience for students with exceptional academic skills. Please see the website for information regarding the program and eligibility.
Honors at Graduation
Eligibility for honors at graduation is calculated after grades are recorded following a student's final semester. The minimum grade point averages in all coursework presented for graduation are as follows:
- Honors-cumulative grade point average of 3.75
- High Honors- cumulative grade point average of 3.85
- Highest Honors- cumulative grade point average of 3.90