Secondary Education: English provides students the opportunity to teach English Language Arts in grades 9-12.
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers the Master of Education (EdM) Plus Secondary Education: English Licensure program.
Professional Sequence Requirements
Prior to Admission
- Pass one of the Illinois approved tests of Basic Skills
- Pass the ILTS English Language Arts content-area test (111)
*Note: State rules mandate that no course with a grade lower than C can be used towards licensure, endorsement, or approvals. This means courses with a C- or lower and CR/NC courses cannot be used.
Content Area Courses: An undergraduate major in English or 32 semester hours of Language Arts. Either option must include coursework from the following:
- One course in introductory study of literature
- One course in English literature
- One course in American literature
- One course in multicultural literature
- One course in study of works of Shakespeare
- One advanced course in written composition
- One approved 4 credit hour course in Educational Psychology (EPSY 485)
- One approved 4 credit hour course in Educational Policy Studies
Professional Education Courses:
- Year One Spring Semester
- CI 401 E
- CI 473
- Year Two Fall Semester
- CI 403 E
- CI/EPSY 485
- SPED 405 or SPED 517
- Year Two Spring Semester
- CI 404 E
- EDPR 442
Minimum GPA Requirements
- Content and Professional Education GPA: 2.5
- Graduate GPA: 3.0
Additional State Required Assessment:
Master Degree Requirements
In addition to the above professional sequence, students must complete
- 3 500 level courses in Education (CI, EOL, EPOL, EPS, EPSY, HRD, SPED) or
- 2 500 level courses in Education if SPED 517 is taken
For More Information
Find out what you need to start your application process.
Learn about application deadlines & required materials.
Review our tuition and fee rates by academic year or by term.
Learn more about paying for your education.
Search our library of frequently asked questions.
Reach out to our Academic Offices for additional support.