Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) prepares teachers for first through sixth grades.
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers the Master of Education (EdM) Plus Elementary Education Licensure program.
Professional Sequence Requirements
Prior to Admission
- Pass one of the Illinois approved tests of Basic Skills
Course Requirements (Effective for students beginning Fall 2016)
Note: State rules mandate that no course with a grade lower than C can be used towards licensure, endorsement, or approvals. This means courses with a C- or lower and CR/NC courses cannot be used.
Content Area Courses: These courses may have been completed as part of your undergrad program. If not they will need to be completed as part of your graduate program. An audit will be done after admission.
- One course in a physical science
- One course in a biological science
- Coursework in a minimum of four different social science areas:
- Political Science
- Cultural Georgraphy
- MATH 103
- STAT 100, MATH 117, or AP Statistics Exam ≥ 3
- KIN 268
- FAA 202
- Year One Fall
- CI 405
- CI 430*
- CI 450
- Year One Spring
- CI 432
- CI 448
- CI 451
- CI 467
- CI 475
- CI 522
- EDPR 550 (0 hours)
- Year Two Fall
- CI 406
- CI 452
- CI 476
- SPED 517
- EDPR 550 (4 hours)
- Year Two Spring
- CI 407
- EDPR 432
- Additional Courses
- CI 415
- KIN 268
*Note: MATH 103 is a prerequisite for CI 430. Students must enroll in MATH 103, concurrent with CI 430 if this course has not been successfully completed.
Minimum GPA Requirements
- Content and Professional Education GPA: 2.5
- Graduate GPA: 3.0
Additional State Required Assessment
Master Degree Requirements
In addition to the above professional sequence, students must complete:
- One 4 credit hour Foundations course in Educational Psychology
- One 4 credit hour Foundations course in Educational Policy Studies
- One 4 credit hour 500 level courses in Education (CI, EOL, EPOL, EPS, EPSY, HRD, SPED)
For More Information
Find out what you need to start your application process.
Learn about application deadlines & required materials.
Review our tuition and fee rates by academic year or by term.
Learn more about paying for your education.
Search our library of frequently asked questions.
Reach out to our Academic Offices for additional support.