- Animals and Their Environment: Deserts (K-4). Carson-Dellosa Publishing Company, Inc. 1993.
- Big book of reproducible plants and animals
- Bash, Barbara. Desert Giant: The World of the Saguaro Cactus. Little, Brown, and Company, Canada. 1989.
- Children's resource on the interdependency of life with the Saguaro Cactus.
- Carwardine, Mark. Desert Animals. Scholastic. 1987.
- Children's resource on animals.
- Catchpole, Dr. Clive. The Living World: Deserts. Dial Books, NY. 1983.
- Children's resource book. Plant and animal life in deserts around the world.
- Cobb, Vicki. Imagine Living Here: This Place is Dry. Walker and Company, NY. 1989.
- Children's literature on Sonoran Desert. Leisure reading.
- Home is Where the Habitat is. National Wildlife Federation. April 16-22, 1995.
- Games to copy and construct
- Hunt, Joni Phelps. The Desert. Blake Publishing, San Luis Obispo, CA. 1991.
- Great photographs for children's browsing. Reading level high.
- Integrated Theme Units: Deserts. Scholastic, Inc. 1994.
- Many activities across the curriculum.
- Kids Discover: Deserts. (Magazine) February 1993 Issue.
- Information of people in the desert. Children's browsing.
- The Mailbox (Primary). The Education Center. April/May 1996 Issue.
- Activities and literature book ideas
- Marchand, Peter/illus. Brown, Craig. What Good is a Cactus? Roberts Rinehart Publishers, Niwot, CO. 1994.
- Children's literature with beautiful illustrations. Cactus and the people of the desert.
- Miles, Miska/ illus. Parnall, Peter. Annie and the Old One. Little, Brown, and Company, Boston, MA. 1971.
- Unit related children's literature
- A New True Book: Deserts. Children's Press, Chicago, IL. 1982.
- Pallotta, Jerry. The Desert Alphabet Book. Charlesbridge Publishing, Watertown, MA. 1994.
- Children's literature. ABC's of desert plants and animals. (browsing)
- Siebert, Diane. Mojave. Harper Trophy. 1988.
- Children's literature (poetry). To be read leisurely.
- Silver, Donald M. One Small Square: The Desert. W.H. Freeman and Company, NY. 1995.
- Children's resource and activity book. Could be center of curriculum plans.
- Taylor, Barbara. Look Closer: Desert Life. Dorling Kindersley, Inc, NY. 1992.
- Children's resource book. Records animals' actual sizes and more information about each.
- Teacher's Helper (Grades 2-3). April/May/June 1996 Issue.
- Esbensen, Barbara Juster. Baby Whales Drink Milk. Harper Collins Publishers, NY. 1994.
- Children's informational literature book. Easy reading.
- Khanduri, Kamini. Polar Wildlife. Scholastic, Inc. 1992.
- Children's resource. Browsing time. Look at cold ocean habitats.
- Kirkpatrick, Rena K. Shore Life. Raintree Children's Books, Milwaukee, WI. 1985.
- Children's resource. Put in a center for children to read or follow with a tape. Answer questions at the end of the book.
- Integrated Theme Units: Oceans. Scholastic, Inc. 1993.
- Many activities and lessons across the curriculum.
- Pigdon, Keith and Woolley, Marilyn. Whale Watch: Endangered Animals. Modern Curriculum Press, Cleveland, OH. 1992.
- Children's resource book. Children may write math word problems from the data given in the book.
- Ranger Rick's Nature Scope: Diving into Oceans. Volume 4, Number 2. National Wildlife Federation. Washington, DC.
- Lesson plans and activities written for the teacher, all ages.
- Reading Rainbow VCR tape. Dive to the Coral Reefs. PBS Home Video. 1992.
- Two short episodes totaling 30 minutes. A look at underwater life.
- The Seashore. A First Discovery Book, Scholastic, Inc. 1990.
- Children's literature with transparent pages. Fun to browse. Maybe use at a seashell center.
- Verne, Jules (adapted by Judith Conaway). 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Random House, NY. 1983.
- Walker, Jane. Fascinating Facts About the Seashore. The Millbrook Press, Brookfield, CT. 1993.
- Children's resource book.
- Wolff, Ashley. Baby Beluga. Crown Publishers, Inc, NY. 1992.
- This is a Raffi Songs to Read book, and has an easy rhyming story to read in leisure time.
- Wood, Jenny. Coral Reefs: Facts, Stories, Activities. Scholastic, Inc. 1991.
- Children's resource book. Includes a fictional story at the end.
- Zoehfeld, Kathleen Weidner. What Lives in a Shell? Harper Collins Publishers, NY. 1994.
- Children's literature. Easy reading with content information.
- Zoobooks: Exploring Ocean Ecosystems. Wildlife Education, Ltd. San Diego, CA. 1994.
- Many activities, lessons, and worksheets to use with 8 different children's Zoobooks, each specialized on one ocean animal. Cooperative group work.
- Hacker, Randi and Kaufman, Jackie. Habitats: Where the Wild Things Live. John Muir Publications, Santa Fe, NM. 1992.
- General information on all habitats. Colorful. Display book.
- Lionni, Leo. A Color of His Own. Scholastic, Inc. 1975.
- Children's literature relating to animal adaptations. Lends itself to art.
- Steptoe, John. The Story of Jumping Mouse: A Native American Legend. Scholastic, Inc. 1984.
- Children's literature. Good read aloud to connect a Native American unit to a habitat unit. Introductory read aloud.
Return to the Desert/Ocean Habitat Home Page
Return to the YLP Units Page
Return to the YLP 1995-1996 Home Page