Lesson Plan Six: Sense
Lesson Topic/Subject: Sense of touch/Science
and Language Arts
Grade Level: 1 /2
Teacher: Michelle Curtiss
- Students will listen carefully to the story
and use their sense of touch to add imagination and "touch clues"
to the story. Application.
- The story of "Steven and the Mystery
- 5 plastic bags
- 5 sacks or cloth bags
- Peeled grapes
- Ham bone
- Strands of cooked spaghetti
- Head of cabbage
- Slice of raw liver
- Before class, put each item listed below
into a separate plastic bag and then put each plastic bag into a
sack or cloth bag.
- Have students sit in a circle.
- Tell the students that you will be telling
them a story called "Steven and the Mystery Monster," and that
during the story, I will be passing a bag around the
- Tell the students to reach into the bag,
feel what is in it, and then pass it on to the next person in the
circle. Explain that they must not take a long time to feel what
is in the bag because everyone needs a chance.
- Read the story and pass around the
- After the story, ask students how their
sense of touch helped them understand the story better? What other
things can we touch? How do we feel?
Evaluation of student
- Did all the students cooperate while the
story was being read?
- Did the students use their sense of touch
to help create more imagination to the story?
Return to the The Five Senses
Return to the 97-98 Lesson Plans