Grade Level: 2nd Grade
Teacher of Lesson: Ms.
*Different ways to bind (From the
book Book Craft by Henry Pluckrose)
- a book
- a clip board
- paper-covered books
- a single-section book
- a binder with corners
- a magazine cover
- a multi-section book
- an address book
*Learning about famous libraries around the
- Read the book The Inside-Outside Book of Libraries by
Roxie Munro and Julie Cummings
- Learn that the word library comes from the Latin word
liber, for book.
- Discussion on Andrew Heiskell's Library for the Blind and
- Students design their own library
A- Where would the library be?
B- What types of books would be in the library?
C- What other materials would the library have?
D- Who would be allowed to check out books?
E- When is the library open?
*Students write their own rhyming poems about
- Read to the students poems from the book Good Books, Good
- Point out the different formats of the poems
- Have the students choose one format and write about their
favorite book or any aspect of making books
- Look to Poetry Alive! for writing suggestions
*Mini-Book on Butterflies or Insects
(review of the science unit)
- 'Happiness Is': Distribute old magazines, scissors, paste, and
large sheets of paper to each child. Encourage children to look
through the magazines to find pictures of things that make them
happy or thankful. They can cut out the pictures and paste them on
the background paper to make a collage. When the collages are
finished, ask children to jot down some words and phrases that
describe some of the pictured objects and how they inspire
happiness. Invite children to use the words and phrases to write
Return to the Book-Making Unit
Return to the97-98 Exemplary Lesson