Teacher of lesson:
Lesson Topic/Subject: Introducing doll
Grade Level: Kindergarten
Estimated Time: 25 minutes
- Students will be introduced to Vera, a
blind doll, and will ask questions to learn more about her.
- Students will learn that even though Vera
canÕt see, she still enjoys doing many of the same things they probably
- Explain to the students that you have
a new friend for them to meet. Her name is Vera and she is blind. When
introducing Vera, follow the ideas which are on the attached script.
- Make sure to have Vera tell the students
that she enjoys swimming and she can even jump off the high board! This
will help the students begin to understand that they might have things
in common with Vera even though she is blind.
Sequence of Instruction
- After introducing Vera, ask the students
if they have any questions they would like to ask Vera.
- Answer the questions the students ask
Vera in her voice. If students don't really have any questions, ask some
of your own that will help them learn more about what it might be like
to be blind.
- Explain to the students that Vera will
be staying in the classroom for the next couple of weeks. They should feel
free to play with Vera and to help make her feel comfortable in their classroom.
Remind them that it will be important for them to not leave things lying
in the middle of the floor when Vera is here visiting, because she might
trip over them.
EVIDENCE OF STUDENTS ACHIEVING OBJECTIVES:
- Students will express their interest in
learning more about Vera, by asking her questions which will help them
understand what it might be like to be blind.
- Students will learn that Vera enjoys doings
things that they enjoy by listening to her talk about how she likes to
go swimming and jump off the high diving board.
- If students are not as interested as you
would like, try to include them in the conversation with Vera by asking
them if anyone enjoys the same things Vera does?
- Have students do role playing activities
- Was I able to get the students interested
- How did the students react to the lesson?
- Did the students play with Vera later
in the day?
- What would I change the lesson in the
Return to the Alike and
Different Unit page
Return to the Exemplary Lesson Plan