Teacher of lesson:
Lesson Topic/Subject: Kids on the Block Puppets
Grade Level: Kindergarten
Estimated Time: 45 minutes
KIDS ON THE
BLOCK PUPPET SHOW
- Students will be introduced to issues concerning physical disabilities
in an entertaining format of a puppet show.
- Students will interact and participate when asked to during the show.
- Students will discuss what they learned from the puppet show.
- Kids on the Block puppet show people
- Before the puppet show people come, explain to the students the fun
event you have planned for them. Tell the students that they are going
to have guests come to their room and put on a puppet show which will be
about kids with disabilities. They will need to be a polite and attentive
- When the guests arrive, have everyone stop what they are doing and
have a seat on the carpet. Make sure the students sit in a place where
they can be good listeners.
- Introduce the students to their guests and allow them to begin their
Sequence of Instruction
- The people putting on the puppet show will first introduce their puppets
which all have different disabilities, and then they will put on short
little skits which demonstrate how to be a good friend to a person with
a disability and show how people with disabilities might feel in certain
- There will be times during the puppet show where audience participation
will be requested. Encourage students to participate in an appropriate
manner. 3. The puppet show will last for about 30 to 40 minutes. When it
is over, have the students thank their guests for such a wonderful show,
and then have them get ready for Friday Free For All.
- When students return from Friday Free For All, have them come to the
carpet to discuss the puppet show. Ask the students if they thought it
was entertaining. Ask them if they learned anything new. Would they suggest
the puppet show to their friends in the other classes? Why?
EVIDENCE OF STUDENTS ACHIEVING OBJECTIVES:
- Students will be introduced to issues about people with disabilities
in an interesting format by watching a puppet show put on by Kids on the
Block. They will demonstrate that their attention has been captured by
being an attentive and polite audience.
- Students will participate and interact in the puppet show when asked
to by offering their opinions about how the puppets might feel in certain
situations, or by offering their ideas for solutions to certain problems.
- Students will demonstrate what they learned from the puppet show by
discussing their favorite parts and how they felt about the performance.
- Was the material presented in the puppet show appropriate for kindergartners?
- How did the students react to the show?
- What would I change in the future?
Return to the Alike and
Different Unit page
Return to the Exemplary Lesson Plan